ABU 10000CL from BigT !!!!!!!!!!

Started by alantani, April 14, 2010, 10:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Hi

I have possession of a 10000 - Unsure of exact model yet but is not the level wind. It isn't mine but an acquaintance's that complained that it has weird drag behaviour.
I am going to disassemble and look at it for him and will reference the above teardown as a guide.

For those that have worked on this family of reels do you have any gotchas I should be aware of prior to the teardown commencing?
The weird drag behaviour is best described as the amount of drag doesn't equate to the star position as directly as I would assume is meant to
That is at full off position a reasonable amount of drag is exerted on the stack and when the star is locked down there is a small increase in drag but nowhere as much as I expect.
I assume that there is a flattened spring (wave or Bellevue washer) or the fibre washers are compressed.
It was serviced recently by a local shop but it is suspected that this was done less than diligently or effectively.

I am doing this as a favour to the guy who owns the reel and for a project for myself so there is a low level of expectation from both of us.
I am confident with the sl20sh and Avet I own but that is due to familiarity and the reels being reasonably simple mechanically
As this is a dual geared reel that experience may not be enough by itself - So if anyone here can flag what to look out for I would be appreciative.

Thanks

Makule

I did overhaul one of them and didn't find anything extraordinary.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Ken_D

QuoteIt was serviced recently by a local shop but it is suspected that this was done less than diligently or effectively.

Sounds plausible....they probably just wiped off all the tramp oil and grease from the old washers, and let it go at that.. after charging you premium price because the reel is big.

jaypeegee

I had a quick look late last night
It is clean inside the right hand assembly with a generous covering of a whitish grease.
It doesn't look to be corroded or overly dirty.
The left hand assembly is also cleanish.

I notice that it does not freespool beyond a few spool turns. I will look at the bearings initially.
However, removing the spool adjustment knob on the left hand plate shows that the wee bit that sits between the end of the spool axle and the tension cap to be offset. It is a brass half ball and rubber component thing. I assume this should be square and true and not look offset? or does this self right when the spool tension cap is on?

Ken_D

To be clear, I meant they prob. cleaned everything, did a good service, but did not replace the drag washers.. just wiped those off, and put them back in. Or they overlooked something else A 10 will stop a bus.  You did not indicate they gave you back drag washers, which is kind of a giveaway they did not change them, unless you do have them?

jaypeegee

Quote from: Ken_D on May 13, 2014, 03:37:52 PM
To be clear, I meant they prob. cleaned everything, did a good service, but did not replace the drag washers.. just wiped those off, and put them back in. Or they overlooked something else A 10 will stop a bus.  You did not indicate they gave you back drag washers, which is kind of a giveaway they did not change them, unless you do have them?

Hi. No prob's. I do not disagree.

Issues I have seen are as follows.

The reel does not free spool.
it doesn't have a measurable increase/decrease of drag with the star wound right down or right off.

It is not my reel. It is an acquaintances. I cannot comment on what he was given back as I did not ask.

Regarding the wee bit on the end of the spool axle that looks to be a tensioning component found under the left hand spool tension cap. Should this sit square prior to the cap going on or does it self adjust when the cap is on. The schematics I have seen are a bit lo res and I haven't had a good play with the reel yet. It was one thing I did notice as odd on my preliminary inspection.

Ken_D

I had to review my notes on 10's....I have seen/worked on... the grand total of.....2 since 1989 !!!  The tensioning device is brass and rubber. Looks like a baby pill. Inside the cast cap is another plastic or rubber bit, that centers the pill in the boss. I applied a dab of grease inside the cap, placed the pill in the cupped part of the insert, and installed. Thereby centering the brass bit in the boss. Brass end to the spool, rubber or plastic end to the cap.

jaypeegee

Quote from: Ken_D on May 14, 2014, 03:44:22 PM
I had to review my notes on 10's....I have seen/worked on... the grand total of.....2 since 1989 !!!  The tensioning device is brass and rubber. Looks like a baby pill. Inside the cast cap is another plastic or rubber bit, that centers the pill in the boss. I applied a dab of grease inside the cap, placed the pill in the cupped part of the insert, and installed. Thereby centering the brass bit in the boss. Brass end to the spool, rubber or plastic end to the cap.

Had a quick look last night
That grey plastic bit looks to be off center
If you know of any high rez schematics I would be appreciative. The ones at Mikes are a bit low rez.

Ken_D

Alan has a schematic thread. Older reels are not easy. The various hosts usually have the very same drawing. But I'd try Planet Fishing, Nutter, and
Southwestern parts.   
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4.0

Ken_D

One aspect not yet discussed RE the lack of drag: Is this reel using braided line?  You can figure out the next phrase if it is.... and that phrase is: the entire inventory is slipping around the spool because of a faulty knot on the arbor. To test, tighten the star, pull line out slowly and watch. If the line is coming off, and  the spool is stationary, 'nuff said.

jaypeegee

Quote from: BigT on March 19, 2010, 12:34:02 PM

Hi

Once the larger drive gear is removed I then cannot budge the drive shaft and get at the dog below it. I have soaked it in CRC and looked at the schematics I can find for this reel in case this model has a clip I cannot see.
It is the 10000C but year of manufacture is unknown. I am presuming mid 80's?

Anyway, It may be just be stuck. I have blasted it with cleaner and air and removed all the gunge but see no obvious clip securing it.

Thoughts?

ez2cdave

Thanks to PHOTOBUCKET, things are really SCREWED UP here, without PICS !

Tight Lines !

Jim Dempsey

Just the article I was looking for. Unfortunately; the photos don't display. I currently have 2 of the 10000CL's that I'm restoring and need some help / thoughts. Both have a "pressure washer" P/N 9728 that's part of the drag system. These seem to have a somewhat chromed finish on the surfaces that has began to bubble up, creating a friction / abrasion problem with one of the thinner drag washers. I don't know if the surfaces could be sanded down to a fine luster and survive rusting with a good application of grease. Thoughts? The part is NLA anywhere I've looked.

The other is the drive shaft. Similar issue; except it has a ratcheting system that prevents the main gear from reversing. The reliefs show a great deal of black oxidation that won't polish off. That drive shaft P/N is 8948, and also NLA. Any idea regarding suitable substitutes, or repairs?

Thanks!

Jim

thorhammer

I think you can lap the washers smooth and install a carbontex drag kit with drag grease, that will be butta smooth and not rust. It's what I do on brass washers that have gotten a nice patina from water intrusion. I'd polish anything else you can smooth, if not gleaming, maybe with 1500 wet / dry or polishing compound.

John

captainmmm

Hi Jim, I have the original article with the pictures in PDF form as I also have 2 Abu 10000 CL's. Give me your email and I can send it to you. Also thorhammer is right, that is the way to go.