For Sale: $72.99 PENN 115L 2.8:1 Gear Set in 316 SS

Started by Black Pearl, December 04, 2013, 12:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesnashtonbrady

Whats the difference between the hex drag and the eard drag washers? Im building a 9/0 and want this thing to be a tank so im trying to find out everything I can. Thanks for the help and soon as I have the money I will be placing a order for these

Shark Hunter

The Hex Drags have to be custom cut to fit in the gear. It is not round like the factory gear. It almost doubles the reels drag capability.
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Didn't Sal test these hex gears and pinions up to 50lbs with the 9/0 ?
...asking 'cause it's a slippery slope for me to look it up this late at night :P
because I'm thinking 130lb spectra now... it'd cut the fight time in half vs. upgraded stock fishing 80lb mono.
(not for me, but a friend who only fishes braid to wind-ons)

as for me, I've already got my 2 sets of steel gears, thank to Al  ;) ..but I"ll still have 4 more reels to upgrade
for guys that fish hard and intend to push these reels to the max..
I'll still need at least one for myself though  ;)

Shark Hunter

Yes he did Erik, But when he tested them a second time, they failed. Black pearl is reworking them in 416 stainless and Sal should be testing the new pinions in a few days.
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Quote from: erikpowell on May 03, 2014, 10:23:48 AM
Didn't Sal test these hex gears and pinions up to 50lbs with the 9/0 ?
...asking 'cause it's a slippery slope for me to look it up this late at night :P
because I'm thinking 130lb spectra now... it'd cut the fight time in half vs. upgraded stock fishing 80lb mono.
(not for me, but a friend who only fishes braid to wind-ons)

as for me, I've already got my 2 sets of steel gears, thank to Al  ;) ..but I"ll still have 4 more reels to upgrade
for guys that fish hard and intend to push these reels to the max..
I'll still need at least one for myself though  ;)

Aloha Erik!

I'm glad your reel arrived safely.  Since you have the factory steel gears already, how about considering Bryan's custom drag set?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9194.0

Just a thought...

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

erikpowell

We're on the same page Al..... already on their way bruddah!

Yeah, and thanks again for the 9/0, you're a gentleman and a scholar!   8)

broadway

Erik, You're building these so Ben can't even break 'em ;) You ain't sparing nuttin' ... I like your style!
Daron, those washers looks precise and done well... what thickness did you go with (CF washers) and how many metal and CF will the hex accommodate?
Thanks
Dom

Shark Hunter

Four Stack of .140 Dom with Stock Washers. This was Sal's set up when he tested the gears. Unfortunately, the .140 is unobtainium these days. :'(
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Just got my order of the 1.20mm, those will do just fine. You would actually get away with 1mm, but wouldn't go any lower.
If anyone is new at this custom cut washers, try not to use anything but laminated carbon fiber washers.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I did all three of my hex gear sets with 1.2mm laminated carbon fiber. I was able to get 5 carbon fiber washers in the gear. I did put a couple of   Bryan's thin washer in each gear to make sure the top eared washer stayed seated. It worked with stock washers but only about half of the eared washer was seated.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

5 Stack with the .120. Four stack with the .140
Hopefully Eric will have some more .140 in the future. Those sheets are Tough! >:(
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

I'm looking forward to a set with the new pinion for my 9/0

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

erikpowell

erikpowell