Eccentric spring problem cs551

Started by isurus, December 08, 2013, 04:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isurus

Hi all,

I was recently given a cs551 to investigate a problem with a broken eccentric lever/spring.  Well, after taking apart the reel I realized that the owner had actually broken the piece of the frame that holds the eccentric spring in place (the little slot at the edge of the frame into which you insert one end of the spring).  I have attached a couple pics in which you can see where a small chunk broke away seemingly after the owner tried to force the reel to engage once the eccentric lever became frozen (I have never seen a reel with so much salt, sand, miscellaneous debris in it). 

Any idea if I can fix this problem short of trying to find a new sideplate???   I was thinking that I might be able to solder something in there to keep the spring in place, but I have a feeling that it will be a pain to get it right.

Any help/guidance is appreciated!

-Jeff

alantani

what likely happened is that the less "noble" aluminum started to corrode at the point where it came in contact with the more "noble" stainless steel spring.  (my old chemistry professor would be proud of me.)  you might be able to drill or punch it a little hole or divot where the end of the spring can stay and not flop around.  i'd have to fiddle with it to know for sure.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

isurus

Thanks Alan!

I was able to drill a new retention hole for the spring and get everything seated properly (the spring was a tad bit out of place but it works).  Got her all greased up and ready to go back to its owner.  Thanks for the help!

-Jeff

Brendan

While doing a initial service on a new CS 625 I got the eccentric spring out of its correct orientation. I have no schematic and was wondering if anybody has a picture of it. Kind of hoping I dont have to break down my other CS to figure it out.
Thanks All, Brendan.

isurus

I have one and will open it up and post a picture of the correct orientation, if you still need assistance.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Brendan,

here you go;

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1688.0

i'm thinking it's similar to the CS 5?? series of reels, good luck!

Brendan

Thank's Mel. I got a new spring from Ken's Custom Reel. Went in so easy, I forgot to take a picture.
Thanks again, Brendan.

alantani

crud, i just sent you one.  when it arrives, could you just mark "refused, return to sender."  thanks!  alan

Brendan

I'll even throw in the extra one I bought in case I failed, Thank you Alan.

alantani

vilters

recently acquired a CS501 (nice reel!) in working condition. well, before I got to fish or service it, the eccentric failed as did the original poster's. unlike his reel, mine was very clean inside, with no signs of corrosion or neglect, in fact, the guy I got it from said it had been recently serviced. I was glad to find this post. I'm thinking the nub inside the sideplate is a weakness in at least some of these reels. I was able to drill a small hole to secure the end of the spring, and is working great now. ready for service and new topshot!

alantani