Removing paint from a Newell spool and bars

Started by Keta, December 15, 2013, 04:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Has anyone used paint striper on Newell parts that have been painted?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, there has to be a reason why they painted those. Send them to Jamie, along with a goodie bag of ss parts for him and let him powder coat them. I could send him the stand, it is in very good shape, but you might want to match it to yours.
The other option, don't worry about it and just fish it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I think the Newell instructions cautioned against using gun solvents when cleaning due to damage to the side plates so be careful with the chemical that you choose.

broschro

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 15, 2013, 07:35:39 PM
Lee, there has to be a reason why they painted those. Send them to Jamie, along with a goodie bag of ss parts for him and let him powder coat them. I could send him the stand, it is in very good shape, but you might want to match it to yours.
The other option, don't worry about it and just fish it.
sounds good to me.

bluefish69

I might strip the Aluminum cross bars & reel seat but not the Graphite parts.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Frank

Carl Newell wasn't happy with the look of the anodized parts on the earlier reels so he painted them. I have used paint remover on these items with no adverse affects. I never bothered to re-coat the parts and they have held up just fine but I always fresh water rinse my equipment after each use. Be advised that the anodized items don't have the look of a black Avet of Accurate under that paint.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Caranx

I soaked them in a mixture of 50% simple green and 50% water for a few hours and the paint came right off.
I admit, it was by accident...

fishtaco

Have a great day

Caranx

Fishtaco,
I don't have any pics of it right now.
The color is like a dark gunmetal gray with a gloss or light shine to it. It may have a little marbling to it also.
All of his products have different finishes.
When my paint came off, I just left it that way and fished it.