Bearing packer instructions

Started by Clipper, December 21, 2013, 06:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper

Is it necessary to remove the shields from bearings when using Alan's bearing packer?  I tried to use it not removing the shields from a bearing but I'm not really sure whether it worked because I made a mess, grease everywhere.  Regardless, I really need some instruction on using the bearing packer.  I do have it set up properly with grease gun and fittings etc.  I'm just not sure I'm using it correctly.  Help!
Another day in Paradise!

alantani

no need to remove the shields.  make sure you have the right bearing packer (metric for metric).  you will know because you will be able to lock in the bearing and it will not wobble.  now squeeze the grease through.  you will feel the positive pressure and should be able to see grease squeeze around the bearing shields.  it will even push out the old grease. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

With those plastic shields, I remove one side and place the open side in the cup. Sometime those plastic ones have a very tight seal.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Clipper

Ok, after it is set in the packer you push the cone into the center of the bearing to hold it in place then squeeze the grease gun?  Maybe I squeezed too hard because it pushed out around the bearing.
Another day in Paradise!

mike1010

I've read all the information I could find on the board about using the bearing packer, but could still use some help.

I got some new bearings for my avet mxl from Dawn at smoothdrag.  The original avet bearings are sealed.  To my newby eyes, the smoothdrag ones look shielded.  All the better; should be easier to pack without opening them, and I would prefer to leave the shields on.  Well, a few gobs of grease and several hours later, I am ready to throw in the (greasy) towel.

One thing I may have learned:  push the grease into the packer slooowwwly.  Doing that, the brake bearing oozed some grease around the shield, and I declared victory.  The drive shaft and pinion bearings were another matter.  The only grease appearing on the exposed side of those bearings was oozing around the inner and outer diameters.  I am definitely using the right packer (English, not metric).  I am afraid more pressure holding the two packer halves together would trash the bearing races (and I've already got a worn out pinion bearing, thanks).

So am I still pushing the grease in too fast, or ...?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

BTW, I removed, cleaned, and greased the MC assembly on this reel.  No trick to that, but getting it back in the reel took some effort.  There are a tiny ball and spring that work with the dial detent.  The magnets keep wanting to pull the ball and spring out of position as you put things together.  If there is interest, I will post a little tutorial, though the wizards on this board may have figured it out long ago.

(This is a duplicate of a post I had put up on the "bearing packer for sale" thread.  Apparently that was a poor choice of locations, as I've gotten no replies.  Sorry for the duplication, anyway.)

Mike

handi2

For me the bearing and the other half of the packer must fit perfect with no wobble. Squeeze slowing holding pressure and hold that pressure without squeezing any more. When you turn the shielded bearing over either the grease will be coming out of the center race or center shield or the shield itself will sometimes be pushed out.

If grease is going everywhere it's just not seated good.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mike1010

Thanks, handi2.  I had the bearing seated in the tool okay, but was pushing grease too fast.  Following your description, I'm now able to pack the shielded bearings properly.

Mike