Penn 722 Rebuild with redesigned plastic parts

Started by jurelometer, December 25, 2013, 03:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Greetings,

Needed a practice piece for powder coating, so I decided to paint up a Penn 722 that I had lying around.  Turns out that the reel had some problems, so it turned into a rebuild.  Thanks to Sal's great tutorial, I pulled the puppy apart and determined that the reel was in decent shape except for a missing bronze spacer, a worn handle knob and a broken drag knob.

The drag knobs are no longer available, and the eeeebay supply is overpriced.  Plus all the eeeebay knobs are cracked in the same place where mine was broken.  

I decided to design  new and improved versions of the handle and knob that kept the original design cues but were more durable and functional.

The handle is slightly larger and rounded, with pockets for delrin or nylon bushings:

The drag knob is taller with deeper pockets for easier adjustment.  I designed two versions, one that reused the brass insert.  There was room to make the plastic around the insert much thicker than the original.

Then off to the 3d printer to fabricate the prototypes.  I used ABS plastic, so the prototype parts were actually functional.  They were plenty strong.

In order to powder coat a cast aluminum reel it had to be sand blasted clean, and then pre baked in the powder coat oven to "offgas" all of the grease it had absorbed through the years. I was surprised at the amount of grease that came out.   Then a coat of light chrome finish and then an almost matte blackish "clear" coat.

It was quite a pain to protect all of the threads and pressed bushings through the blasting and painting.

Final result was pretty good.  Paint was quite hard and even, but a few fisheyes, probably because it was not offgassed long enough.

I have some tricks to smooth out the ABS parts, but I am kind of liking the rough look and will go with that for now.

Ready for another 40 years of service!   Just need to find a home for it.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Alto Mare

The amount of upgrades I'm seeing on here lately is amazing. This site was already at the top, we are now getting off the chart ;D.
Nice work Jurelometer, thanks for sharing it with us.
Sal

* I just noticed that you're new to the site, welcome!
You're really coming in with a bang ;D, nice to have you here with us.
Looks like you have some good machinery, let me give you my first suggestion ;D
Could you make a drag knob for the 650ss and 750ss in aluminum for us?
I know that cost might not allow it, but just thought I ask.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

floating doc

Central Florida

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 25, 2013, 11:53:27 AM
The amount of upgrades I'm seeing on here lately is amazing. This site was already at the top, we are now getting off the chart ;D.
Sal

X2 and welcome.  Share with us more of your talent.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 25, 2013, 11:53:27 AM
Sal

* I just noticed that you're new to the site, welcome!
You're really coming in with a bang ;D, nice to have you here with us.
Looks like you have some good machinery, let me give you my first suggestion ;D
Could you make a drag knob for the 650ss and 750ss in aluminum for us?
I know that cost might not allow it, but just thought I ask.

Hi Sal,

Thanks for the kind words.

Re the 650/750 drag knobs:  Is there a functional improvement needed, or is this more for cosmetics? I would think that Al would not be the best for  threads that will be used frequently, like a drag cap, so we end up with a bronze or stainless insert for the threads with the corresponding unlike metals corrosion issues.

I think plastic often gets a bad rap.  It is often a better material than metal for some jobs. High quality plastic parts are possible, just a bit more rare than they should be.

How many units are you looking for?   For  < 50 units, machined acetal (delrin) with a metal insert might be the ticket.  Above that, we move to rtv molded and then to injection molds.   We can do some pretty fancy designs with cnc machining or 3d printed masters.  If the insert can be an off the shelf nut, then the prices start to get toward reasonable. 

If we are going to Al for cosmetic purposes, then we need to machine bar stock, plus a custom insert, and then anodize (powder coating not kool enough).   Would need a large run to  cover the costs of building jigs for machining multiple units at once, and the minimum batch cost for anodizing.  Otherwise an Al cap would cost  exceed the value of the reel.  Even with a large run, the cost gets up there.

PM me if you would like to talk more.

Ron Jones

I agree, printed ABS is doing amazing stuff. That is great work.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Thanks for getting back to me jurelometer, you bring up some good points.
The aluminum knob would be for both, functionality and cosmetics, but I see how that could get out of hands.
I've experienced problems with the first run of drag knobs for the SS series on a few of their reels, even on the smaller ones. I did upgrade all of my spinners with this drag knob:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52N-750N.aspx

I know that there was a manufacturer in Japan that was making a full aluminum drag knob for those...sorry, can't find the link, I believe the inner part were brass. The price for that upgrade was around $150, I thought it wasn't worth it.

The reason that I'm looking to upgrade the knob is that now we're able to double the drag numbers on those, with that said, I'm not sure  the 52N-750 couldn't take it. I do like the way they're made, they will need to be tested on the water and see how it goes.

Now, adding looks to the picture, I would really like something as this one:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52-TS7G.aspx
I'm not a machinist, but I do believe that there isn't anyone out there that would be able to bring us those at that price.
I will purchase one and take a closer look, if there is a way to make it work, it would be great.

I need to get me a small lathe ;D.

Thanks for your time and please keep these great ideas coming, we all appreciate it.
All the best!
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Wow...absolutely beautiful. I love the color choice for the powder coat.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D