114HLW Hex Drags

Started by Shark Hunter, December 31, 2013, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Since my Holiday furlough is about over. I better get some Hex Drags Cut. Its Hard enough to cut a perfect hex, but it makes it more difficult when the hex gear is not a perfect Hex either. I made a template out of a credit card.

I cut out three sets. One went into the WEX. I'm saving one for the Dom and Tom frame. One set is going in this Half Frame. I am very happy with the fit.

Its nice working on a reel you don't have to clean and polish first!

Another bonus is that all the screws are the same length on these Aluminum frames.

The only problem I ran into was I broke one of the stand screws trying to straighten it. No biggie.
I know it feels nice and smooth! Black Pearl's Hex gears, ss sleeve, yoke and Dog. I can't wait to put it on a scale to see some drag numbers! No problems with the eccentric either.
My son and his Guinea Pig Oreo were supervising.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You're getting very good with those washers, good job. I'm guessing over 50lb. on a scale. ;)
I wonder how that pig would taste with potatoes :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 01, 2014, 03:09:36 AM
You're getting very good with those washers, good job. I'm guessing over 50lb. on a scale. ;)
I wonder how that pig would taste with potatoes :-\.

Whistle pigs can make nice pets. I usually just treat cats and dogs, but I had one in the clinic today. Still, they were domesticated as food animals. 

Central Florida

Ron Jones

They eat a LOT of whistle pig in Peru!! Everywhere we went they had it on the menu, if their was something turning on a spit you didn't need to ask what it was. I don't eat weird so I wasn't interested. If anyone wants to know how to make GREAT white sea bass ceviche, I recomend a weekend in Lima.

As far as the drags, keep the tips coming. My tube framed 114HLW is in pieces right now and will need those drags soon.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

Pigs for food = sustainable
Chilean White Sea Bass....not so much
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Ron Jones

Who said anything about Chilean sea bass? What I grew up catching as white sea bass out of So Cal is called Corvina in Peru. Funny, I used to catch corvina in the surf and it wasn't white sea bass! Anyways, those boys down there know how to make it into ceviche. They even usually have some from yesterday for guys like me who need it to cook longer.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

My bad, I know alot of S.American counties have a history of routinely marketing White Sea Bass as Chilean Sea Bass, and have often passed off bass as pategonian toothfish when they are absolutley nothing alike.  Off course, more abundant species are typically passed off as the species that demand higher market prices (which in some cases were caught in an underegulated unsubstainable manner).  Thankfully the modern consumer has become a little more educated regarding what they are eating.

I love the seemingly endless varities of Ceviche found around the globe.  I've had 2 types of Filipino, Samoan, Fijian, Kiribati, Vanauatu, Spanish, Marshallese, Hawaiian (severel different types), mexican (2 types), Beemudian, and Australian.  I think my favorite is the spicy Mexican YFT, bermudian wahoo (they have really good fish chowder too), and surprisingly the Ono belly Fillipino style.  Now I'm getting hungry.

I had to recut my hex washers, after being unhappy with the initial results.  I cut a piece of thin cardboard first, then, a thin (0.5mm)CF template.  This made cutting the thicker CF washers a much easier and consistent process then my old method of individually marking thick CF material with flour.  Still not perfect (like laser cut would be?) but they have good corners /edges and are pretty close fits. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TomT

I followed Bob and Shark Hunter's advice about making a template.  I also used an old credit card and it worked well.  Now I need to drill the holes.  What bits did you use??and what size--I assume 5/8" ?   Any advice(like stacking them together and drilling all at one time) ??  How do you hold them in place while drilling??  I would hate to damage them now that I have them cut to shape. Thanks,
TomT

Shark Hunter

I'm sure there is a better way Tom, but this is how I did mine. I had the gear and sleeve on my bench. I would put two or three in the gear and drill a hole with a 1/4" bit as center as I could eyeball it. The take them out and put the sleeve in the gear. Then take my Dremel with a small diameter sanding drum and sand the hole to fit tight on the sleeve. Very Tedious, but I wanted a tight fit on the sleeve and didn't want to mess them up after getting this far. Making small cuts and then checking for fit.
Life is Good!

bluefish69

You could also use a multi bit
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

What's a multi bit? Mike.
Life is Good!

bluefish69

It's a stepped bit. There are different sizes, The one you would want goes from about 1/16" - 3/4" all on one bit. Harbor Freight has them on their monthly flier.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

I know what your talking about. The problem I run into, is that my center hole for the sleeve might not be perfectly centered. You can remedy this with the sanding method. Just take a little at a time and sit it in the gear to center it up.
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Ignoring personal problems - "my hole might not be perfectly centered" - Place a drag washer in the gear - Hold in place with a finger or two - Turn it over - Mark the washer, through the sleeve hole, with a chinagraph pencil (or similar). Step drill/Dremel/punch - Job done  :)

BMITCH

What I did was to mark out squares on the 1.4mm sheet that would larger than the finished washer. Then mark center of those squares( simple right...corner to corner). Drill the hole(1/2" wood bore). Made a template of the inside of the gear( using sheet metal and a bench grinder) . Cut out the squares then match up the template and hold realllllllll tight a d grind down and fit up. Good luck!!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.