Does anybody know this rod??

Started by Topshot, January 07, 2014, 05:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topshot

Does anybody know anything about this rod. Found it in my collection of old rods. It's a tuna king rod. It's pretty stout and is definitely a big game rod. I have seen one other on ebay paired up with a penn 9/0.

Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

Its just a vintage fiberglass rod. Its not worth much, but it looks in great shape. Would be a good match to a 9/0 Senator. That wood looks awesome.
Life is Good!

Topshot

Oh I wasn't trying to sell it or anything. I'm just a huge fan of fishing with old school gear. My good buddy builds rods and were gonna clean it up real nice. Put a new set of guides and re wrap it and a fresh layer of flex coat and probably re stain the handle. Beautiful old rod that just needs some love and it will be just a a good as any other rod I can buy.
Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after.
Michael Baughman

Shark Hunter

That's what I mean. I don't want to buy it. I was just commenting on how cool it is. 8)
That's why I recommended a 9/0. Old school rod, Old school reel. ;)
I bet that setup could bring in a 8' Bull Shark easy. ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Isn't True Temper an Ace Hardware brand?  I Googled them and found out they do make carbon fiber products but refer mostly to golf shafts.  They probably used to make fishing rods and stopped or they still make rods without their brand name.  I don't know so I should keep my trap shut.  ::) There that saved someone from saying it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

They made reels too Dominick. I don't know that they made them, but they had the Tru Temper name on it.
This was back in the Ocean city days. They are neat old reels, but nothing like a Senator. ;)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Tuna King was a trademark for

WESTERN-HOEGEE CO
4844 SAN FERNANDO RD
GLENDALE,  CA  91204-1412
(818) 246-8301

which expired in 1986.

That rod appears to be from the 60s, quite possibly 1968 if I were to take a WILD guess.

I'm not sure if they are still in business, but if they are, you may want to venture out and contact them to see if they have any more information about the rod.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Okay, here's another old rod.  Can anybody identify it?  It was probably bought in Manhattan, maybe even at Capitol, between 1935 and 1950.  I'm thinking post-war.  It goes 9 feet, has a slow action and power to throw flatirons.  It has just the two guides and the tip, and they are not dainty.

Thanks.

--Mike

Ron Jones

For no other reason than I've fished a bunch of them, I'm gonna say that's a custom wrapped Fenwick blank. If it is, it's my favorite. That butt is amazing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

day0ne

True Temper rods were solid glass and most had a nice parabolic bend. I had a green True Temper that I rebuilt that I had to keep an eye on because all the deckhands on the boat loved it. A little heavy compared to todays rods, but indestructible.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

thorhammer

The blank resembles a Harnell I have but if Ron's that familiar go with it. Love those old sticks; they restore nicely.

mike1010