4.9:gear sets for older style Trinidads

Started by conchydong, January 14, 2014, 11:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

Just saw these on the Flea Bay. Has anyone out there tried them? Would they fit the Toriums of the same size?

Sorry, couldn't get link to work. I'll try again

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360757067318?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I think I got it this time.

Bryan Young

It should fit, but not sure of quality.  Hopefully they are stronger than the bronze gear set in the reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

conchydong

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 14, 2014, 04:02:34 PM
It should fit, but not sure of quality.  Hopefully they are stronger than the bronze gear set in the reel.

The reason I asked Bryan is that when I checked the schematics for similar size Toriums and the older gold Trinidads, the main gear and pinion had different part numbers. Many of the other parts regarding the Torium and Trinidad shared the same numbers. Perhaps, could the sizes of the gears be the same but constructed of different materials, hence, the different numbers?

Bryan Young

The torium gears are brass and are built taller and beefier but the SS gear of the trinidad is smaller, lighter and harder material.  You will need to interchnage the pair as the pinions are different.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

I know its an old thread, however I ended up getting these gears. They do fit the Torium well. They thing is, like Bryan mentioned, the quality is sub par. Very noisy, rough and doesnt seem to add to the strength of the reel. I have not measured cranking power however.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Just want to add an update to this post. I have learned A LOT since this post (all from this great site, thank you guys). I have also used the gears for this whole past season. It is very nice having SS gears in the reel, as it really allows for the reel to be fishing at the high drag range without worry of stripping. (high range being a max of 20lb as the ARB can not handle more than that). The biggest benefit is the change in gear ratio, adds a noticable amount of torque to the reel and the 4.9:1 is still fast enough if using lures. Now as I stated prior, the gears are very rough and you can see some machine marks (not all gear makers can be as good as Alan C.  ;D) however the gears to have a break in period and are much smoother now. There is still a noticable feeling between the SS and the stock gears but its much better now. Just if this helps any one. I would love to hear if anyone has tried the Newell gears made by these same people.

FoulHooked

I also decided that I would give these gears a shot on my Torium 16. I took some pics so others could see the size differences. The swap went very smooth although I have not used the reel yet out on the water so I am yet to see it perform.

To get some readings on how the torque would change, I put the reel in my trevala before and after and attached 30 oz to other end. I was able to begin reeling in that 30 oz with 4.20 lbs of pressure with the normal 6.2 gears on there and with 3.80 lbs of pressure with the new 4.9 gear ratio.

Something that I did not think to test until after I was all done was the drag, I know was in the high 20s with the original gears in there but once the gears changes, the leverage that the spool has on the main gear should also change so I need to check that soon.

Whats in the bag?
Main gear, pinion gear and red knob to remind me that I changed the gears on that reel.

Comparing Main Gears

Comparing Pinion Gears

Application

My knob is red