I'm a little lost here

Started by Legal Bill, January 17, 2014, 03:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Great picture Eric !!..., Thanks for sharing..... You just enlarged my bucket list
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

johndtuttle

Quote from: txangler81 on February 02, 2015, 07:33:15 AM
Someone earlier was comparing internationals to senators. I finally broke down and read a few of the international threads just to see what they are all about and from the few I read I got that they are stronger reals but they seem to be really bad about corroding. One even said that it is a good idea to do a full break down and cleaning after every trip. So to me at least a tanked out senator that cost half of what an international cost will hold up even better in the long run, and if your are worried about your side plates exploding didn't accurate make aluminum side plates for some of the senator reels.

Dustin

Different reels for a different class of fish.

Internationals and their two speed brethren from Accurate, Shimano, Avet, Okuma etc are decidedly superior on the biggest fish.

There is no free lunch when it comes to big fish.

Alto Mare

A well equipped Senator will do just fine. They did good without any upgrades in the past, could only do better now.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 19, 2015, 07:01:30 PM
A well equipped Senator will do just fine. They did good without any upgrades in the past, could only do better now.
Sal

I am sorry Sal, this simply isn't the case. They managed in the past. They will land fish...at a cost to the Angler's extra effort. But, there are vastly better tools available now.

Where a Senator will always excel is simplicity and longevity/ease of upkeep. But not pure performance. They do not fish a live bait as well, they do not make as much drag, they do not have as much cranking power.

The Penn International was invented for a reason. 2-speeds with 1.1 low gear was invented for a reason. There is good reason why such reels dominate the market now. There is good reason why you virtually never see big Senators being fished for truly big tuna among regular and experienced big game fisherman that have options.

Alto Mare

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 19, 2015, 08:48:14 PM
Sal

I am sorry Sal, this simply isn't the case. They managed in the past. They will land fish...at a cost to the Angler's extra effort. But, there are vastly better tools available now.

Where a Senator will always excel is simplicity and longevity/ease of upkeep. But not pure performance. They do not fish a live bait as well, they do not make as much drag, they do not have as much cranking power.

The Penn International was invented for a reason. 2-speeds with 1.1 low gear was invented for a reason. There is good reason why such reels dominate the market now. There is good reason why you virtually never see big Senators being fished for truly big tuna among regular and experienced big game fisherman that have options.

No John I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was simply answering Dustin's question, I wasn't comparing.
Yes there is a reel for everything, all have their place.  I simply said the Senator can get it done.
As me, there have been a bunch of guys here that enjoying upgrading  the old reliable Senators,  maybe we'll get to see some pictures soon.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 19, 2015, 09:28:31 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on April 19, 2015, 08:48:14 PM
Sal

No John I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was simply answering Dustin's question, I wasn't comparing.
Yes there is a reel for everything, all have their place.  I simply said the Senator can get it done.
As me, there have been a bunch of guys here that enjoying upgrading  the old reliable Senators,  maybe we'll get to see some pictures soon.
Sal

Ah, gotcha Sal. Context is everything.

I agree completely that hot rodded Senators are potentially capable of landing VERY big fish, they certainly have in the past before any upgrades. I fully encourage anyone to mod their reel to their hearts content and test it on the real thing.

Shark Hunter

For Land Based fishing. The Senator is the winner. Hands down. From a boat, That is for the international. JMO
You want to get it done, Get an Everol. The best of both worlds.
Life is Good!

Legal Bill

Back to the top...

So I was just wondering about crank arms and handles.  People recommend Alan's arms and handles, but I only see postings for his handles.  Does he list the arms somewhere?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on January 17, 2014, 04:08:04 AM
I'll start by saying that the Senators are one of the easiest reels to work on. However there are different tweaks you can do to them to make them stronger all around.

1. You can contact Alan Tani about getting a new stainless steel sleeve with a SS Dog and the CF washer to go under the main gear. He sells these as a set with outstanding prices on them.

2. Contact Dawn - SmoothDrag - to get the CF Drag washers for your specific reel

(Those 2 steps should be your first priorities if cost at this time is an option. If not then continue on...)

3. I went with a second SS Dog on my reel at this point. Gives you the back-up support should one of your AR Dogs give way. Should be able to get a second from Alan, or you can either pm Keta for one, or go to mysticparts.com.

(The next steps can be done either way)

4. Next would be to look into getting a new SS gear set for your reel. Black Pearl has great deals on these and amazing quality on there parts.

5. Now look into getting a nice power handle. Alan and Keta both carry these, as well as SmoothDrag, MysticParts, and BlackPearl.

6. Lastly is the frame. Finding a good solid Half or full frame should round you out for strength upgrades. Broadway (Dom) has some half frames for the 115 coming any day now. Black Pearl has some full frames for the 115 coming soon and you can always check the web (eBay, etc.) to find some also.

I hope this helps.

7. - "Double-Dog" modification !!!

Tight Lines !

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on January 17, 2014, 04:56:56 AM
pretty much as above.  

first, a complete tear down and rebuild, getting a light coat of grease on all the metal surfaces.  an old toothbrush works here, along with any grease you want to use.  it's less important what grease you use, just as long as you use something.  

second, grease the 5 drags inside the main gear and replace the fiber washer with a carbon fiber drag washer.  

third, the handle.  of course, i like my 5/0 grip the best.  lee and i both make stainless steel arms.  

fourth, the stainless steel gear sleeve.  i have this farther down the line, because it's hard to round off the soft brass gear sleeve if you have properly greased drag washers.  may as well replace the brass dog with a stainless steel dog at this point.

fifth, a hardened stainless steel main and pinion gear.  

sixth, a frame.  

with any reel, i would go for the first three mods without hesitation.   i would only go with the last three if i had trouble, or if i knew i was going to get into some.  at the very least. do the first two.   ;D

seventh, the "Double-Dog" modification . . .

Tight Lines !

Legal Bill

Just a quick update from me.  I upgraded my drags on my 115s and added Sal's/Broadways one piece frames.  The 115s are a part of my six rod spread.  One of them landed this nice small medium BFT this past July.

Ron Jones

Congrats on the BFT!
I think that 9/0 with frame and drag improvements can handle most anything in the water, and I applaud your choice. I have no idea how to use those silly lever and transmissions, and I don't much care to figure it out. I don't know how you can fish a live bait better than a reel with light spool in complete free spool, but I hear the comment often.
As others have said, to each there own. I'm sticking to star drags.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Very nice, congratulation Bill. just a quick note, Sal didn't have much to do with the one piece frame, That was Tom and Dom :).
Thanks for sharing.