Updated Stainless Sleeve With Double D's

Started by SoCalAngler, January 22, 2014, 07:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I installed a stainless gear sleeve in my YTS, thanks Alan. I found the new pin would not fit all the way into the gear sleeve. I was able to push with pliers the stock stainless pin into the sleeve and if I have to ever remove it it may take a thin punch or nail to get it back out. But, I don't see having to do that for some time, if ever.

While I'm in the reel I'm going to see about adding a second dog. Here is a pic and as you can see it will fit with some mods to the sideplate and second dog.

I know this pic is a bit blurry, its getting late, but I will have to grind away a portion of the black area on the side plate. Not the whole area just the most inside part of it and part of the dog.

OK I was able to grind the side plate and install the second dog today.
In this pic you can see where I ground down the sideplate on the left.

Stock dog on the right and modified one on the left.

As you can see the second dog was installed with the flat copper type spring.

I found in my reel if I left the second dog the standard length I got simultaneous engagement of the dogs. I wanted alternating engagement to reduce handle play so off came the dog and around 1/8th of a inch was taken off the second dogs length.

Chris Gatorfan

Keep us posted on it and of course post pics of the finished product...
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Bryan Young

You may need to grind the dog to so it doesn't interfere with the spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DaBigOno

Looking forward to your progress reports
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

SoCalAngler

I think it is done now, can't think of anything else I want to do to this reel......other than catch some fish with it.

Ron Jones

If anything you might consider upgrading the drag with Bryan's 7+1 or Lee's insert.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Good work SoCal! I am going double dog crazy myself. I have 8 sets of double stainless dogs and springs for my 12 and 9/0's. ;)
Life is Good!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: noyb72 on January 22, 2014, 08:46:09 PM
If anything you might consider upgrading the drag with Bryan's 7+1 or Lee's insert.
Ron

I thought about it but I get over 22lbs of drag with the 5+1 right now. Thats plenty of drag for the 50lb topshots I plan on using but thanks for the heads up.

maxpowers

that's exactly how i did it too but i was used ss dogs and some fishing wire bent into a flat spring.  i went for the simultaneous engagement.  i have Bryans 7 stack plus alan c ss gear in there.  only thing leftthatisnotss is the eccentric lever.  totally tanked out.

john2244

Nice work !!!!!!  I have a few PG reels and may consider doing the same to my reels.  Was it difficult to grind the aluminum and what tool did you use ??

John

maxpowers

tungsten carbide bits.  took less than 5 minutes

SoCalAngler

I used a handheld rotory tool and some stone bits that came with the tool for the sideplate and a sanding drum bit for the dog but the dog I used was brass. Go slow, grind a little at a time and measure the fit. I had to try the fit, grind and sand around 4 times before everything lined up correctly. Since the reel had never been fished I did not want to screw up and then try to find a unused or not scratched sideplate, or any sideplate for that matter.

BMITCH

Nice work. Amazing what can be accomplished with a dremmel like tool. Very neat!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Brendan

From what I hear about Copper and Aluminum, I would watch that copper spring. Looks great, I'm just too scared to try it with mine.
Tight lines, Brendan.

gstours

Hello so cal; it looks like you got it. and  you learned a lot too, im, sure,  hindsite is 20-20,,,,,good work and posting for all.   gst.