Spool for Newell P334-T

Started by jimazores, February 02, 2014, 07:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimazores

What spools can be used in this reel? Does anyone have one they want to sell?

Newell Nut

Is it a 332 or 344? There is no 334 newell.
You can use anything from a 322 up to 344 if you use a Tiburon frame for whatever size you like between the side plates. You can find plenty of spools on ebay but the P series comes with a metal spool so you may want to stay with metal but you don't have to.

jimazores

Newell Nut, You are correct and I erred when writing the message. The reel I have is a P344-T. It has the 4 stack drag and the gear stud is in stainless steel (very hard!). I have had all the pieces in a bag for years and cannot remember when I got them! The other day I took out the bag of parts and put them all together to see what I could do with it and found it was almost a complete reel.  I am missing the spool,
the base has three broken screws which will have to be fixed, and the bellevilles are all cracked but that seems normal and easily fixed.  The parts I have are in very good condition and I either want to try and put it back together as a working reel or sell what I have to someone who is into Newell reels and will put it back together.  Hence my question about spools. I was wondering if any Penn spools fit this reel or am I limited to Newell?  Can I use a spool from a different model of 344 ie a S or a C etc?  Just trying to see what the options are.  Regards, Jim.

jimazores

By the way....what does the "T" in the part number mean?

Newell Nut

The S or C spool is graphite but will work. The only long term problem is the P series that you have has a SS clicker and the graphite spool clicker sprocket may wear down in time. The metal spool that comes on a P has a metal sprocket.

The T at the end references gear ratio. I know the Ms were 4.1 but I don't know the T. I have all the parts including spools to make this reel functional. I would consider buying your parts since I can make them into a nice reel and I have a Tiburon frame for it as well.

Newell Nut

I forgot to mention the penn spools will NOT work on the newell.