ugggghhhhh! paypal......

Started by alantani, February 06, 2014, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

Quote from: Dominick on February 09, 2014, 04:49:29 AM
Quote from: Topshot on February 06, 2014, 05:52:23 AM
Just have them send you the money as a gift and you won't be charged any fees. I've have great success with paypal
Here comes some unsolicited advice.  If it is a gift, no problem.  Otherwise play it straight and pay paypal its fee.  They are a business and provide a valuable service.  Gaming the system does not pay.  Dominick

I agree. I just sent a request to Alan for some parts for my 115L. I suggested that he should be raising his prices a bit to cover the paypal fees.
Central Florida

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

ive had no problems.bank manager advised me to use it
banks dont guarantee against fraud,paypal does

Shark Hunter

The friends and family option is the way to go. As long as it comes right out of your bank account, its perfectly legal and perfectly free! ;) The only fee I have experienced is paying out of the country. When I paid Wallace in Australia. Instead of $20 it was $20.20. ;D
Life is Good!

Makule

The PayPal fee is an ordinary cost of doing business, just as fees are assessed for the use of charge cards.  Some companies either charge the full price when using the charge card, or give a discount if the customer pays in cash or check (usually in the neighborhood of 2.5%).  Some other businesses, like mine, just eat the cost as it is another complication (for the customer) to have to decided whether to pay in cash or check or cc, and then for me to figure out why they are paying a certain amount (customers often do not specify what they are paying for).  Charging the customer a set amount and letting PP take their cut is simple and doesn't really amount to a great deal in the overall scheme of things.  Since they are providing a service that many of my customers actually prefer to use, and since there is a likelihood that some would choose another vendor who uses PP, if I did not, then the small fee is a reasonable cost of doing business.  Then, at the end of the year, PP will send me a nicely itemized accounting of everything that I bought or sold, refunds, and their fees.  My accountant likes that since it's so much easier for her to compare the amounts rather than have to do all of the calculations for every month.

Another advantage of PP is that they have a good "system" of catching fraud of different sorts.  Sometimes, even when the customer tries to get away with not paying, PP has their own system in place to deal with that kind of thing (I don't recall the specifics because it's rare, and has been a while since I've had to deal with that).  Anyway, it's a good deal for what one gets (as a business or customer).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

broadway

Whatever works for you, Chief!
My experience has been 50/50... It's works well with me being on the buying side, but not so good on the seller side.
They held my money unnecessarily too many times for 3+ months each time, and gave me a hassle every time.
From those that have dealt with me, know that I'm not very shrewd when it comes to the almighty dollar, but why should anyone hold my money for that long? ???
Best of luck Alan,
Dom
PS- will money orders work still? ...had ta ask :-\

alantani

yes, checks are still fine. just let me know.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pro Reel

I love paypal. I have used it as the prefered form of payment for reel service fore the last 4 years. I used to send out envoices, but then I was always the one that paid the fees. Now I just send an email to each customer with the total owed and a breakdown, I them request that they use there paypal account to send the payment to my account and give them my email as the recipient to put in the send money to tab. Now, i seldom pay fees. If the sender has the money already in there account, there are no fees to them or me. If they use a CC card, then they pay the fee.

I then have the money stay in the paypal account and use a debit card to spend from that account. I now get cash back on the money i spend out of that account. Instead of me paying paypal fees, they send me money every month. Gotta love that.

johnachak

If the money is sent as a gift, the sender pays fees. No free transactions at Pay Pal.

Unutt

I have used paypal for years.  I have never had a single issue.  There are two modes, one to pay for goods or services, and one to send money to family or friends.  The family or friends mode has no fee.  The goods/services mode has a fee similar to using a credit card.

The goods or services mode includes a guarantee.  I once had a seller back out of an agreement.  He told me he just changed his mind.  He agreed to refund my paypal money, but he dragged his feet forever.  I filed a dispute with paypal, and they 'coerced' him to refund my money.  It was less than an hour from the time I filed the dispute until he refunded.  It costs a few extra $ to use the goods/services mode, but it is much safer for buyers and sellers.  If you trust your buyer/seller, it might not be necessary.

There are several methods of exacting your money from your paypal account.  My favorite is to use paypal money to buy more reels or reel parts.  One time I actually just had it transferred to my checking account (free), but that was no fun so I never plan to do it again.
So many reels, so little time.

Unutt

Quote from: wallacewt on February 10, 2014, 07:33:11 AM
ive had no problems.bank manager advised me to use it
banks dont guarantee against fraud,paypal does

And so I have yet another paypal story. 

I 'contracted' to buy a bayonet from a woman somewhere here in the US.  We agonized for several days trying to get her paid as she had this that and the other problem with her paypal account.  Finally, she identified an account I could use.  I paid her, she created a shipping label, and that was the last time I heard from her.  The actual financial transaction occurred on January 1, 2015. 

I watched the shipping information for two weeks.  It never moved.  I emailed her on numerous occasions.  No response.

After three weeks, I filed a complaint with Paypal.  Today, four weeks later, Paypal refunded my money.

I have nothing but good things to say about Paypal.  Fast, and safe for both parties.  Yes, there is a fee, but it is similar to the fee for using a credit card.  If a seller asks me to cover the paypal fee, I am more than happy to. 

Shark Hunter

I agree Unutt. Paypal gets it done for me. I've been doing it for a long time. ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

yeah, i guess i'll have to start adding the 3% paypal fee.  i hate having to do the math.  as far as paypal goes, i got a call from a very nice young lady at paypal asking if i would like to start a business account.  she correctly observed that all my transactions involved a paypal fee (that i had paid) and that i also have zero disputes.  none at all.  i thanked her and explained that all of this was just a very expensive hobby, not a business, and that there was no profit being made.  sadly, all of which is true!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 26, 2015, 05:35:02 AM
I agree Unutt. Paypal gets it done for me. I've been doing it for a long time. ;)

Do you want to buy a Go Pro for $23.00?   Pay through PayPal :D ;D :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Unutt

Sounds interesting.  What is a Go Pro?