Best Rod Blank for Ulua Shorefishing

Started by Tightlines667, February 08, 2014, 11:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think is the best overall quality Rod Blank for Ulua Shorefishing ?

Nitro
0 (0%)
IRW
2 (8.3%)
Talon
5 (20.8%)
Tica
0 (0%)
Allstar
1 (4.2%)
Okuma
1 (4.2%)
Shimano
1 (4.2%)
Fenwick
1 (4.2%)
Hawaiian
0 (0%)
Kewell
0 (0%)
Magnum
0 (0%)
Roddy Hunter
2 (8.3%)
Old School (Bamboo,Tokunago, or other)
1 (4.2%)
Other
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Tightlines667

I don't know much about the Mirade of rod blanks available for Ulua fishing, so I thought I'd start a poll.  

Not looking for opinions on best wrappers (past and present), guides, wraps, spacing, seats, or styles...

Just wondering what you think are the best overall rod blanks for targeting monster Ulua (GT) from shore (in the ~13'/medium-heavy/fast action class?)

and why if you chose.

Cum on Ulua Hunta and friends, please share your expertise.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Caranx

I got Talon's and All-Stars.
Talons feel light and stout to me. All-Star's are heavy duty, thick and durable.
IRW's are very popular too, but never tried a heavy action yet.

spottybastard

thunnus69

CTS Blanks out of New Zealand.  I have a few and love them.

Ron Jones

Huh,
I didn't know All-Star made anything for surf fishing. I have several for in shore stuff. I whip mostly, so I can't really submit an opinion.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

I'm old school. Fenwick 16810 and Saber 540.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Ive seen Seeker Ula rods, they look impressive!

Leo

Shark Hunter

You can't go wrong with the Seeker John. ;)
Life is Good!

Makule

All of my ulua casting rods were glass/bamboo "half and halfs".  They were great.  Then I got a couple of Sabre 540s and they were good too, but heavier than the half and halfs and not as sensitive.  Then I tried graphite and hated them because they were entirely too delicate.  Now I'm back to glass boat rods with a 3' aluminum butt (total length is about 7 or 8 feet).  Casts far enough for me, and pulling the fish in is so much easier.  Wish I had done that when I was really into it, but caved in to "conventional wisdom" of using a longer rod since I believed everyone else couldn't be wrong.  My only 7' rod at the time did cast fine and was great for pulling in very large ulua.  I used it only a few times and gave up on it still thinking that I was missing something with a rod that was so short.  The reality was likely that I did miss lots of very large ulua that I couldn't pull up with the longer rods.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

QuoteI have also  owned the half and half, 540 sabre's and the fenwick 16810. They were all great in their days.
Technology takes over.

I still use "old school" and that is why my name is Makule.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

fishtaco

what lure are you casting ??

???

how heavy are the fishies?

Just guessing but I would start by modifying  a extra-heavy swimbait rod from okuma guide select IM8 7'11''
if the fish are under 20#, and  use a Penn squall 15 set the magnet 1/2 way
and toss a 3 0z megabait in green/gold ?? probably get 100 yard cast with that set up..  ;)
Have a great day

Ron Jones

If you cast a mega-bait 100 yards around most of Hawaii you will feed the reef a lot of Mega-Baits.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

fishtaco

Rocks?
Then change it for a ranger
Bring it on top

Have a great day

Bryan Young

By the way, my favorite and still favorite Ulua rod for 40# test was a Fenwick Live Bait rod that was 10' long, extra fast action, and extended with a 4-5' 1" Diam. this aluminum butt.  Light, easy to cast, and could use is many different environment...just not the 60# or 80# main line that I used to cast.  I was hoping I could have purchased it from my friend's dad, but that was his ulua rod and would not give it up. :(
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 12, 2014, 08:00:59 PM
By the way, my favorite and still favorite Ulua rod for 40# test was a Fenwick Live Bait rod that was 10' long, extra fast action, and extended with a 4-5' 1" Diam. this aluminum butt.  Light, easy to cast, and could use is many different environment...just not the 60# or 80# main line that I used to cast.  I was hoping I could have purchased it from my friend's dad, but that was his ulua rod and would not give it up. :(

Think this was LB1206.  Great rod.  Not for the 100 pounders, but good for up to 50 lb.