Penn Baja Special

Started by Lbctermite, February 12, 2014, 08:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 23, 2015, 05:54:48 AM

John,
I don't know if you fish a Big Senator, but when you can, get your hands on some of Adam's versa Drag Inserts. They make a Senator smoother than it was ever meant to be. Twice the lock down power, but so smooth at the reels original max drag. The best invention yet to a Big Senator other than Tom's ss sleeves. Truly remarkable.

Daron,

I grew up fishing big senators, and small Internationals, a few TLDs, and large Penn SS spinners for most of my offshore fishing.

Got my sleeves today, and am patiently awaiting Adam's big boy inserts.  I intend to make myself a set of reels to fish.  They hold a special place in my heart, and are a comfortable tool in my hand.  This is despite the fact that I am definately an old school International guy.

When fishing lighter line I like smaller internationals, for trolling heavy gear and fighting from the holder or fighting chair I like the Tiagra 130s, or Penn 130s, 80STWs.     I also like the idea of catching a 200lb+ Yellowfin on a small 2 speed loaded with braid, on standup from a fast center counsel.   But for general offshore fishing including chunking, live baiting, and trolling when I intend to catch the fish on standup, there is something about fishing those big senators that appeals to me.  They are good reels, and these upgrades will make them much more capable.  Alzo, even with the upgrades buying a 5 or 7 rig setup is much easier on the pocketbook then those shinny gold colored reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on June 22, 2015, 08:02:56 AM
glad to have find this thread, I just serviced a Baja Special that does the same weird thing of the loud clicking noise when you suddenly (abruptly) stop the handle after turning it fast and strong.

uff thanks Alan

on my case I foud the culprit of my problem

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15217.msg157484#msg157484

The Baja Guy

scharebear

If problem found can it still be considered normal in other cases? I have 2 new US Senator 113N that make this noise but have never had problem fishing them.

scharebear

It's been awhile but I am revisiting this topic because I just worked on my US Senators (added Cortex Conversion bridge upgrade) and my reels are now in perfect condition but I would like to update the issue with the continued motion and noise when cranking the reel quickly and stopping suddenly. I do believe it is as Alan Tani said "it's the shoulders of the spool shaft banging against the pinion gear" and I do believe it can be normal. My warning is to not do it repeatedly as it will tear up the shoulder of the spool shaft. I ruined the tiny bearing (#55) trying to get it out of there because of the damage to the shoulders on the spool shaft. I was able to use fine grit sand paper and smooth it out and eventually get new bearing in.