Value question

Started by Legal Bill, February 12, 2014, 04:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legal Bill

Hi everyone.  I hope you can help me with my question.  I'm in the Northeast and I have to say we don't see a lot of Newell reels up here.  I was thinking about buying one and started looking at them on e-bay.  The thread on here that deciphers the model numbers was so helpful that I thought I would start a thread about the value of these reels.  With no market in the area, I just do not know what a fair or going price is for these reels.  The e-bay prices seem to vary wildly, even for the same model.

I'm interested in a 200 series for inshore fishing and a 4 or 500 series for off shore fishing.  The large reel would be used for trolling.  I see the small reels going for between $90 and $300 and the big reels are between $150 and $500.  It is hard for me to know why there is such a difference between the low and high end of these reels.  And frankly, for any price above $200, I'd buy a used gold reel or a new Shimano TLD.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Bill

Bryan Young

Hi Bill,

You have a very good question.  Right now, it's a seller's market for sure, especially for special colors.

Newells have their following of people and have a very loyal following.  With that said, I'm not sure what a fair price is.  Personally, I would not spend over $200 for a new or $120 for a used Newell due to the fact that parts availability is very questionable.  With that said, I own 3 newell reels...maybe 4.  2 are 220s that I use for surf fishing, a 229 (spare parts reel), and a 300 series (I don't know which one, and may have become a parts reel...I forget) that came with the 229. 

Now, if I had a collection of Newells that I fished regularly, that may be a different story because I may want to have those extra reels due to lack of parts and stock pile a few just for parts.  I think that is what a lot of people are doing, and for those who have the reels and may have changed brands, are benefiting from this need.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

Newells are great reels, but they became popular because they are great casting reels, light weight, and resist corrosion. Their drag isn't anything special; in fact, the 4 series reels have the same drags as a 2 and 3 series Newells -- meaning drag washers the same size as a Jigmaster or 309 -- so many people think they have too little drag. The 5 and 6 series drags are beefed up quite a bit. If parts weren't a problem I'd say go for it and get a couple. But if you don't already have a particular "thing" for Newell, now isn't the right time to start, at least not in my opinion.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Newell Nut

There is a large supply of Newells in the New York area and I have purchased some nice ones from that area. Parts really are not a big issue since a Newell rarely has a problem if the owner maintains his equipment as a sensible sportsman should. I fish Newells on a regular basis from the 70s and 80s era with no problem at all. With Bryan's new drags the 300 series has 32 lb of drag now and the same for the 400 series. In the 500 and 600 series they go over 40 lb of drag.

Pricing is difficult. New ones can be rather expensive and I am glad I bought a bunch of new ones before the price started getting too high. A mint condition 600 series will cost you over 200. A mint condition 500 series will be the same. The P series is the most popular and NIBs are ridiculously priced BUT if maintained properly they are lifetime reels.
Drags are easy to get from members here and bearings as well by logging into Boca Bearings site.

As much as I like my Newells I don't think it is the best choice for offshore trolling. I think lever drags are better suited for that and you sure will pay a hefty price for good quality ones.

Newells cast great and the larger ones are great bottom fishing reels with plenty of strength and light weight. My favorites on the bottom have the 3.2 gear in the 540s and the 3.1 gear in the 600 series. I have some 600s with a 4.2 gear I have not fished them yet.
The 300s and 400s can handle some very large fish caught up in the water but if I trying to drag something off the reef I will use the 500 and 600 for that.
All of my cobia fishing is done with a 332 and one of my buddies caught 4 nice cobia last summer with a 229. I gave our captain a 229 and he catches all of his cobia with it now.

Legal Bill

Thanks guys.  Your thoughtful responses helped a lot.  I'll get a Shimano TLD 30 or a Penn Squall to fill my off-shore needs and just keep my eyes open for a 200 or 300 series Newell at the right price. 

I really think this is just a curiosity thing with me.  I never heard of them before finding this site and then I got curious and read up on the guy.  Carl Newell was my kind of guy; starting by improving what already exists and then striking out in his own direction.  Plus I'm a sucker for things that are made in America.  I know the Shimano is NOT made in America, but it sure is hard to beat the TLD 2 speed for that price point.

Newell Nut

You can shop wise and find the 200s and 300s for less than 150 as long as you don't have to have a NIB one. You will see some very high buy it now prices so just watch the bid expire and relist. Too many silly prices out there. If you spot one that you like send me a PM and I will let you know if it is a good deal or not. I always assume I will need new bearings and drags on whatever I buy which is another 40.

maxpowers

i have penns shimano and diawa along with newells but i seem toalways reached for my p229 unless the fish gets too big..  it fit so nicely in my hands.

Newell Nut

You should put a Tib frame on it and a 6 stack drag and you will have a mighty mouse. If you don't have a 4 stack original then upgrade to Bryans 5 stack. Love my 229s also. Powerful little reels.

maxpowers

I have the 5 stack plus I added the washer with full size CF underneath the gear.  Still debating about the tib frame.  I really only fish this reel up to 40 lbs test line so 15 lbs of drag is more than plenty.

Legal Bill

Here is a P229 I've been following on e-bay.  I note he does not have the original clamp.  There is no picture of what the clamp looks like.  It is already bid over $100 and the auction has 3 days to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131113875629?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Newell Nut

Collectors will not bid this one high due to the graphite clamp instead of the original aluminum clamp. I looked at that one earlier and the guy could have done better with the photos. The bonus for you with this is that it appears to be the older model and should have the 4 stack drag. I think this one should stay under 150 because of the base. If you are not a collector the base means nothing. The fish don't care.

Tunacious

Legal Bill:

Some good thoughts on here. :)

Re pricing: Capitalism works...supply and demand. The reel is worth as much as you're willing to pay for it. I'd suggest to only purchase from someone you trust, preferably locally if possible. There are a lot of "Original P Series" out there that aren't.

I always look at fishing brand preferences as a "Ford vs. Chevy" thing. For me, there's no right or wrong...it's just a preference.

Newells are old school as far as technology is concerned. I'm a tweaker and enjoy maxing out my Newells. I've added Tib frames and add'l drag (Bryan's kits). For the west coast fishing I do (albacore, bft, yft, yt and dorado), I don't need anything fancy.  Reels such as a Penn Jigmaster, Squidder, 3/0 and 4/0 size reels are all that's needed for bait/jig fishing. I, however, prefer the feel of the Newell equivalents...you may or may not - Ford vs. Chevy. I mainly use 322's and 332's though I also own 220's...all original P's. I also occasionally use a NL 322, NL 533 and NL 631. I sold/traded all my other P models years ago.

I personally wouldn't use a Newell for trolling. For my style of fishing, I use a 6/0 w/80#. I use Newells up to 40/50# test...over that I use other brands for other purposes. Also, if the fish are bigger, I place my Newells in the rack and use other reels. Having said that, I would feel confident of landing big moe with my tweaked out Newells. I'd now consider them pretty much bullet proof for their line class.

Parts could be a problem for you. I'm going to pm you a name of an east coast guy who you could speak with. Hopefully, he could refer you to a shop where they could show you Newells. You need to put a Newell on a rod and see how you like it...preferably fish it once. If you do get a Newell, you can always upgrade the frame, drags and bearings.  You could speak with the shop folks about getting spare parts for any future needs. I'd also help if I could and I'd bet others on this board would also.

Good luck!  8)

maxpowers

There are a few P229 and 220 on BD right now.

peesherman

P220's and P229's will always fetch AT LEAST $110 anyway of the week for the mainland guys. Newell parts aren't such a big deal.  Just take care of your gear and it will serve you well.  I have fished Newells for a long time now and have always been able to find the parts that broke (belleviles, clickers, handles, gear sleeves, pinions).  There are aftermarket bellevilles.  There are also after market handles and star drags.  There are also aftermarket main gears and pinions if you have a 300-500 5:1 gearing.  Gear sleeves will get screwed up if you aren't careful, but even those are easy to find.  Newell prices aren't so hot right now as they were last year.  The prices fluctuate from time to time.  Normally, I pick up colored 300-600 series reels for $180, S series 300-600 for about $120-160 and no letter 500 series for about $100.  Its all right time, right place.  I refuse to buy reels for a premium price, unless its something very valuable.  I paid $150 for a bnib pink 332 that I converted to 344 size with tiburon parts.  Ive made it a rule that if I DO pay a premium, it must be a useable size (i.e.: 300-600 size) and it must be from a limited run like a pink, or the yellow 533 that I have and even that, I paid $170 for.  Main thing...Shop smart.

maxpowers

there is a p-229 listed on BD by a guy close to my house.  He is asking $80.  Anyone interested?