What Newell reel do I want?

Started by Keta, February 15, 2014, 02:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I've decided to buy my first Newell reel and want something the size of a Penn Surfmaster 100, what Newell would make me happy?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Frank

If you can find a first run P220 or early G220 with the stainless clicker, stainless jack handle, aluminum drag star and aluminum handle you'll be very happy.

Newell Nut

Lee
Be prepared for sticker shock on a P220. There are some P229s in the classified on BD outdoors and they are reasonable.
The 229 is about 3/8 wider and holds 290 of 20 lb. The 220 holds 200 of 20. I have both and favor the 229s and they cast great.

Keta

I was just on ebay looking :-[  There is not a lot of them and the price is not in my current range.

Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Take a look at Hawaii CL, we often have alot of them available here.  If you find something you like on Oahu, I can pick it up for you and ship it out.  Gonna be in AK for a fisheries conference next week though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Mark Twain

Keta

What's the Penn equivalent of a Newell 332-5, it looks like a 501/506.  Or a 300C?

Mark Twain

Frank

I'll keep an eye on the fishing forums and Craig's List in my area and let you know if something pops up.

Frank

Keta

Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Yep...Pacific Seabird Group Annual meeting.  I will be there to present our program's 10 years of seabird (Albatross) banding data.

I think I'm gonna enjoy the 120" snow base and snowboard a week from this Sunday (my one full day to play), though I did seriously consider hoping a flight to Gustavus to pay GSTours a visit.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

If you havn't already you may want to check this thread out.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7795.0

Good explanation of Newell's reel naming convention that actually makes sense.

For instance an S344-5 would be an 'S' series

(Stainless Steel, produced from early 90s to end, SS gears, double dogs, rings, through base screws, clicker assembly, adjustable bearing cup, modified/upgraded bridge assembly?....most corrosion resistant of all models, some QC issues noted though?)

That was designed for 30lb line , has a capacity of 440yds of 30, and has a 5:1 gear ratio.

This thread explains design changes and model changes over the years.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4432.0

Note that the 300 series has a better drag (same as 400s), though the drag system is not these reel's strong suit.  They are compact, low profile, well balanced, lightweight, corrosion resistant, and boast good freespool and casting characteristics.

Hope that helps.
Hope springs eternal

maxpowers

Lee -- I think the 332 is more like the 99 while the 338 is more like the 500L.  the 322 I think is more like the 501/506.