Need help with Saltaga SALD40HS

Started by fishtight, February 16, 2014, 12:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtight

Need help from the more experienced friends here.
I've been trying to take apart my Saltiga SALD40HS for some service like what you guys are doing.

But I can't seem to take apart the nut on the spool shaft.

Can anyone teach me how to do this. I've almost rounded the nut... :'(

johndtuttle

I am sorry to say that the issue you are having is a common one  :(.

It's because that is not a nut and is not removeable.

LD reels have that hexagonal shaped bit machined into their frame to anchor the cam. It is one piece with the side plate, generally.

How do I know this? The very first one I attacked years ago taught me. :)

Don't worry, as long as your bits still fit over it snugly the reel should function fine.

best

fishtight

Thanks John for the advice. But how to I get to the gears and bearings beneath then?
I tried taking out the spool shaft and spool from the left side but its not possible.

johndtuttle

Quote from: fishtight on February 16, 2014, 04:49:47 PM
Thanks John for the advice. But how to I get to the gears and bearings beneath then?
I tried taking out the spool shaft and spool from the left side but its not possible.

Taking apart a lever drag reel is sequential. The lever drag preset button screws off like you have done to free up the Spool Shaft that the spool rotates on, you then remove the frame screws and the rt. side plate lifts off.

Take a look at this tutorial for a good basic LD reel and you should have no trouble with the Saltiga:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9685.0

You don't have a 2-speed so the handle is much simpler as you have found but it still will give you some basic direction on how to proceed.

best regards

fishtight

Hi John. I got these pics of a SALD50HS service from another site. Apparently the nut is removeable and needs to be removed in order to separate the spool from the right hand side plate. Otherwise there's no way to access the gears beneath the right hand side plate.

I've posted a query on the other site. But the tutorial is nearly 2 years old. Hopefully somebody replies.

Bryan Young

I don't ever recall taking a nut off to separate the side plate from the spool.  The side plate should just come off...sometimes the spool follow the sideplate.  That is okay.  sometime you have to tap the spool shaft with a rubber hammer...I mean TAP.  the pinion, and anti-reverse rachet sometime gets stuck to the spool shaft but be careful of the anti-reverse pawl...it's abu style and those friction wings are easily damaged.

Proceed with caution...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: fishtight on February 18, 2014, 06:56:32 AM
Hi John. I got these pics of a SALD50HS service from another site. Apparently the nut is removeable and needs to be removed in order to separate the spool from the right hand side plate. Otherwise there's no way to access the gears beneath the right hand side plate.

I've posted a query on the other site. But the tutorial is nearly 2 years old. Hopefully somebody replies.

No, you are completely mistaken (unless I am :D). Note that the diagram that you are quoting says to remove the screws  to lift off the side plate. It says nothing about the hexagonal frame "nut" which is not a nut in every single lever drag on earth that I have ever seen.

Once you lift off of the frame you will realize that even though the spool spindle/shaft runs through the piece that free movement of the spindle is essential to how the lever drag works. It runs though it but is not attached. The threads on the end are for the drag preset knob, NOT the hexagonal frame piece that anchors the cam essential to LD function.

Note when you look on the schematic there is no such nut shown:

http://www.daiwa.com/Documents/PartsDiagram/SALD35HS-LD50HS.pdf

I'll be the first to eat crow if I am wrong but I don't see it.

As Bryan said you may need a little push with your finger or a *light* tap on the spool spindle to get it to separate as reels with close tolerances will be tightly aligned. The idea is that the high tolerances keep out salt. This is the price we pay for quality. :)

best regards

fishtight

Thanks Bryan and John.
I received a reply at the other site, which was exactly as you said, that the spool assembly should come right off once I remove the lever assembly and the 4 screws attaching the right side plate. Mine is stuck for some reason.... :'(

I'll try again when I get back home later. .... Now where's my hammer??? ;D

Thank you so much for your patience and advice.

Bryan Young

I think your problem is with the side plate and not the spool.  In these cases, I have placed the pre-set tensioning knob back on the spool shaft because I don't want to damage the Anti-Reverse Pawl...espcially for Daiwas.

Then I take off the side plate screw and if the sideplate is stuck, I take the rear end (handle) of my ruberized screw driver and tap all around the sideplate joint in an outward motion to encourage the sideplate to separate from the frame.  Then I grab the reel so that I can push on the spool with hands at 180 degrees from each other and repeat until the frame assembly comes off the frame.  Some of those Daiwa frame machining are very tight.  It doesn't hurt to add some TSI or CorrosionX around the crease of the sideplate/frame joint to help lubricate the connection for separation. 

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D