BRAID CUTTERS?

Started by LTM, February 18, 2014, 04:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doradoben

I have two pairs similar to those shown in SoCalAngler's photo. They are from Turners Outdoorsman in So. Cal. Both edges are serrated and work very well. They cut spectra cleanly. Only cost a few dollars each, packaged on a card and didn't come with a pouch. I've used a knife before but prefer sissors.

Eric Hensel

Quote from: philaroman on February 19, 2014, 04:23:40 AM

If you like the kids' safety scissors idea, look for older US-made Fiskars (the newer Chinese ones are not as good)

Before that, the real Fiskars were made in Finland  ;)
--sometimes I feel old...

philaroman

Quote from: Eric Hensel on March 11, 2014, 05:40:39 AM
Quote from: philaroman on February 19, 2014, 04:23:40 AM

If you like the kids' safety scissors idea, look for older US-made Fiskars (the newer Chinese ones are not as good)

Before that, the real Fiskars were made in Finland  ;)
--sometimes I feel old...

that's COOL -- never knew that.  Did Fins actually make safe kiddie models -- or were they all nice & dangerous, ready to stab Russians at first opportunity?  ...you know, if your finka is buried to the hilt in the first one, gotta' use what's handy on the next one  :o ;)

Robert Janssen

Yes, Fiskars is now a huge company, founded by a blacksmith in Finland in the 1600s* and still based there, although they have operations all over the world. They made / make knives, tools, scissors, weapons... all sorts of stuff.

Cutting braid, idunno... probably good for that too.

*Yes- three hundred odd years.

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 20, 2014, 05:42:33 AM
Do you take them out and slam on them like a stapler! :D
Hey Daron:  I missed this post.  Very funny.  Gives a good visual.   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

2 G,s

Kids fishers scissors,no point. Had them for years.

FishnNauru

My boomerang tool is crap now, rusted, unsprung, not impressive...can't take the saltwater.
Was good when new...but "they just don't make em like they used to" :)

I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

Alto Mare

The Xtools floating pliers do a good job on braid. I have no idea how long they will last though, I just started using those, I know they're much better than my nail clippers and very reasonably priced.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tunacious

I just use my stock dykes and it works fine. I do sharpen it every so often.

Steve-O

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 20, 2014, 11:57:58 AM
The Xtools floating pliers do a good job on braid. I have no idea how long they will last though, I just started using those, I know they're much better than my nail clippers and very reasonably priced.

I've used those on braid for a while. They do a great job and will outlast the pliers nose. Mine get a barroom brawl of a workout every Alaska trip unhooking hundreds of fish. Easily 50-60 daily. The nice thing is they grip the lures and hooks well without damaging either nor the line. The bad is they wear fast.  Maybe only good for a few seasons. The plastic gets beat up quickly and you'll find the closed cell foam handle covers creeping off or up the handles. I glued mine on at the joint end since they worked down more often.

Superbly light on the waist, fast on the draw with a zinger they are right back in the holster and keep fishing.

I also have a pair of side cut braid pliers from Cabela's. They're the steel ones. Heavy. Great braid cutters on the side. Need rust preventative care.

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 20, 2014, 11:57:58 AM

I keep using this X-tool HD plier since 2010 and the side cutter is still sharp enough to cut braid effortless, just have to press a bit and click the braid is cut better than with a "fishing clipper", I dont know if they are still available

The Baja Guy

MarkT

The scissors on my little Swiss Army knife have jagged edges and cut spectra just fine.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Mudguts

I know this is an old thread but the Swiss army knife scissors are perfect for cutting braid.