New old stock Newell parts

Started by Hamachi, February 18, 2014, 08:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Mahalo. I'll get to it shortly.  No rush. It's not surf fishing for stripers here yet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishit 2

Hi Bryan, what drag kit would you recommend for my 338F? Taking it apart now to see what stack config is presently uses...
Also is there a Tiburon frame for this model? Would like to get a set of lower gears as well since I believe this one has the 5.1 gears.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Fishit 2 on February 21, 2014, 04:26:39 PM
Hi Bryan, what drag kit would you recommend for my 338F? Taking it apart now to see what stack config is presently uses...
Depending the drag numbers you need, I would recommend Penn's Jigmaster 3 stack HT-100 set or if you need more, I have a kit that will bring your drag stack for 5+1, including metal washers.  I have tested these for 24# of running across the park with pole in hand.  Others have tested these at higher numbers...I just haven't because 24# is more than enough for that size reel.  PM me if you are interested in a kit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maxpowers

Also is there a Tiburon frame for this model? Would like to get a set of lower gears as well since I believe this one has the 5.1 gears.

The tib frame is the same one for the jigmaster 500.  I think the model is P20.

Bryan Young

Okay, I got up this morning, and took the day off.  Pull out the P-229 and placed the spool in my drill to spin it...lo and behold...warped spool.  Unless I can find a new spool at a decent price, this will become a parts reel...I'm maintaining 4 additional Newells (P220 and P229), at least he can have one failure  LOL...

Frank

So you warped a P series 229 aluminum spool. Bryan, you are a beast. ;D Could it have happened testing your drag washers?
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Bryan Young

Tunacious

pm's sent to Fishit 2

Hamachi

$30.00 buy now on e-bay for a p229 spool new old stock! Another auction for $10

Good luck
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Frank

Received my parts from Sav-On-Tackle today. All items are genuine Newell. Some in original Glendale packaging. Sav-On even threw in extra drag washers and two 1 oz. tubs of Cal's drag grease! Great folks to deal with.

Frank

Tunacious

Congrats. You got 3 bridge assemblies, correct? Were these all NOS or used? Did the top of the bridge sleeves use circlips or a screw to tighten them down? If circlips were used did they have the fixed ss washer at the bottom? Were the main gears recessed underneath or flat? What other parts did you get?

Frank

Congrats. You got 3 bridge assemblies, correct? Correct. Were these all NOS or used? NOS. No signs of wear, No signs of ever being installed or removed from a reel. No marks on metal drag washers and no shiny spots on the dogs from rotating on the gear sleeve. Did the top of the bridge sleeves use circlips or a screw to tighten them down? Two have circlips and one has the screw. If circlips were used did they have the fixed ss washer at the bottom? No, I wish!!! Were the main gears recessed underneath or flat? Flat. What other parts did you get? Four sets of 300 series inner rings and and reel clamps ((2 SC-15 and one SC-20).

I just wish I was there when the parts first went up for sale. I wonder if any early P sleeves and gears were in the mix?

Did you end up getting anything?

Tunacious

No...just catching up on the thread. I live too far away.  8)

So, from what you know, the parts Sav-On was selling were all OEM Newell parts and not aftermarket, correct?

Frank

Quote from: Tunacious on February 26, 2014, 02:40:49 AM
So, from what you know, the parts Sav-On was selling were all OEM Newell parts and not aftermarket, correct?

Correct. Everything I received is pure Newell and in the pictures Hamachi posted I see nothing but the real deal Mike.

Frank

peesherman

I don't know any company out there producing aftermarket newell parts anyways besides those 5:1 gears, aftermarket star drags and bearing caps along with the tiburon spools and frames.  No company out there is producing aftermarket bridge plates, sleeves, SS clicker kits, free spool jacks, etc.