Okuma CT-30C and CT-30CS Drags

Started by Bryan Young, June 01, 2010, 07:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Hi Alan,

I have 4 (total) Okuma CT-30C and CT-30CS reels that I bought as my first reels for my old boat as it was affordable and that is all I could afford at the time.  As the reels have been sitting, I would like to put them to use, and would like to upgrade the drags.  These reels will be used as guest rods, and would hate to see them loose a fish due to sticky drags.  The stack make up as follows in ID by OD by thickness.

Drag washer 8.1 by 34 by 1 mm under the gear
Gear
Drag washer 13 by 34 by 1 mm the first drag washer in the stack
Metal washer, 2 mm thick
Drag washer 8.1 by 34 by 0.5 mm
Keyed metal washer, 1 mm thick
Drag washer 8.1 by 34 by 0.5 mm
Metal washer, 2 mm thick

Could I possibly get . 7-8# of drag from the following set-up with 2+1 carbon drags vs. 3+1 plastic set?

#6-965 (8.15 x 24.61 x 0.85) under the gear
Gear
#6-116 (16.55 x 32.69 x 1.36)
Metal washer, 2 mm thick
Keyed metal washer, 1 mm thick
#6-965 (8.15 x 24.61 x 0.85)
Metal washer, 2 mm thick

I think that is all I need for rock cod, halibut and flounder fishing since I'll be using 30# spectra or 25# mono.

What do you think?
Thanks,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jimmer

Tom and Paul at Tuna's reel troubles in Ludington ,MI are making thinner carbon fiber drags for okumas that don't create drag stack height problems. tunasreeltroubles@gmail.com or 231-907-0052
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

um, bryan, swing by the house on friday.........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Felton

Wish I could just swing by the house.  :'(

Bryan Young

Alan, will see you Friday afternoon.  Can I pick some blood oranges, whatever is left?

Felton, It's good and bad.  Good for me, bad for my wife (too much fishing for my wife).  Alan and his friends/customers have a wealth of knowledge that they are willing to share from rigging to knots to rods to reels, my head is exploding.  It's all good, but I wish I could just video tape some of the lessons that I had learned as reminders.

Jimmer, got an email from Tom regarding thinner carbon fiber drags.  They indicated that the thinnest carbon fiber drag washers are 0.8 mm thick.  They are waiting from their supplier to release a 0.5 mm thick drag washer material.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Quote from: Felton on June 01, 2010, 08:33:22 PM
Wish I could just swing by the house.  :'(

know that you are welcomed and that there is always cold beer in the frig!

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on June 02, 2010, 11:23:10 PM
know that you are welcomed and that there is always cold beer in the frig!
Do you want me to bring more?  The last time you told me to stop as your frig was filling up faster than you were drinking.

alantani

no, still got three 12 packs in the garage.  gotta drink 'em quick!  alan

Dawn

Here's a couple you might be able to work with:

35.60 x 8.7 x .5 

33.8 x 9.50 x 1

They aren't too hard to trim or sand to the proper size.

Dawn
Smoooth Drag

Dawn

alantani

Bryan Young

Quote from: Dawn on June 03, 2010, 05:10:47 PM
Here's a couple you might be able to work with:

35.60 x 8.7 x .5 

33.8 x 9.50 x 1

They aren't too hard to trim or sand to the proper size.

Dawn
Smoooth Drag
Thanks Dawn,
I improvised for now.
Bryan

Ron Jones

So,
I know that Alan gave one of these away with CF drags and that Bryan has put CF drags in his. What is the answer as far as Catalina 30CS carbon fiber?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 28, 2018, 04:32:19 AM
So,
I know that Alan gave one of these away with CF drags and that Bryan has put CF drags in his. What is the answer as far as Catalina 30CS carbon fiber?
Ron
Ron, oh my lord, this is an old post.  My Catalina didn't have CF drag washers. I do t know about the newer Catalina reels.

Gobi King

I used this size guide to order for my non-standard reels

http://www.smoothdrag.com/Carbontex_washer_sizes_Retail3-2014.pdf

looking at the list #54 could work.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Ron Jones

Alan listed them in another post. I'll get them one way or t'other.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"