Penn Long Beach Live Bait Reel (259) narrowed

Started by Bryan Young, February 21, 2014, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Well, I decided to start experimenting and this is what I came up with...next to a Accurate 501 conversion. What do you think?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I think it is perfect. Did you ever figure out the gear ratio for the 259?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Nice Bryan! ;) I need to get me some of those hot dog handles. They have a classic look.  8)
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Looks great Bryan! 

Please tell more... Did you use a 30-49 stand, 29L-501 spool, 37A-506 spacer bars with the Long Beach Deluxe side plates & custom stainless-steel arms w/ a Delirium handle and your custom 1+5 drags?

And more photos please.   
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

That was some good experimenting buddy ;)...gorgeous....
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

looks like a long beach 60 main gear and a squidder pinion gear.  i thought i'd seen every penn that was ever made, but i've never seen one of these before.  very nice!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cone

Bryan, I think you started something! Very nice reel! Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Doug

Bryan Very nice job. Did you go with your 5+1  drag 5-60 upgrade kit ? If so  you have a very strong little reel. BTW I think the retrieve rate on the orginal 259 was 2.5 to 1 according to penn.  I guess it depends on what pinion gear works, in any case a very strong little penn  and a really nice job Doug

Bryan Young

Quote from: noyb72 on February 21, 2014, 07:53:46 AM
I think it is perfect. Did you ever figure out the gear ratio for the 259?
Ron
Hi Ron,

Without taking the gears out and counting the teeth on the gears, it appears to be 2.8:1.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 21, 2014, 08:22:30 AM
Nice Bryan! ;) I need to get me some of those hot dog handles. They have a classic look. ;)
Hi Daron, these are Alan's new SS Penn Jigmaster Power arms and is Pete's spinner handles  (3.5" long x 1" diameter).  You can get both of them from Alan Tani.  They are on the reels just for demonstration purposes...or I may just have to buy them from Alan if I'm going to keep them with these reels...they do look good on them  ;D

Quote from: Dabigono on February 21, 2014, 10:29:01 AM
Looks great Bryan!  

Please tell more... Did you use a 30-49 stand, 29L-501 spool, 37A-506 spacer bars with the Long Beach Deluxe side plates & custom stainless-steel arms w/ a Delirium handle and your custom 1+5 drags?

And more photos please.    

Hi Al,

The reel stand, cross bars and spool came straigth off of a Penn 501 Jigmaster.  Parts used are:

Reel Seat Plate - Part #30-49
Cross Bars - Part # 37A-506
Spool - Part #29L-501

Guts of the 259 has been upgraded were possible.  So the reel now has a jigmaster fine tooth gear sleeve from Alan Tani, and the star is now a Penn Part #10-505.  It's a little larger than the Penn Part #10-60 star that came on the reel.  This reel also had steel gears, so I upgraded the drags to a 5+1 set of my own, and think I have the right washers now for the 5-60 gear set.  This should give me similar drag numbers as my jigmaster set, minus a 1/4# per washer, or so.

That reminds me, Lee, do you have any SS 15-60 pawls available?

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 21, 2014, 11:59:25 AM
That was some good experimenting buddy ;)...gorgeous....
Thanks buddy.  Coming from you, I am honored  :D

Quote from: alantani on February 21, 2014, 12:14:02 PM
looks like a long beach 60 main gear and a squidder pinion gear.  i thought i'd seen every penn that was ever made, but i've never seen one of these before.  very nice!
I got THE MAN!!!   ;D   :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  Finally a reel he hasn't seen. ::)

Main gear Penn Part #5-60 with the Pinioin gear Penn Part #13-140 or #13-99. used with Bridge Penn Part #3-99.

Quote from: Cone on February 21, 2014, 01:23:12 PM
Bryan, I think you started something! Very nice reel! Bob
Thanks Bob,  This may very well be an awesome alternative to Penn's 1/0 reel and I'm sure will be an excellent live bait reel with braid.  I'll upload pics of the tolerances between the spool and sideplate rings shortly.

Quote from: Doug on February 21, 2014, 03:32:27 PM
Bryan Very nice job. Did you go with your 5+1  drag 5-60 upgrade kit ? If so  you have a very strong little reel. BTW I think the retrieve rate on the orginal 259 was 2.5 to 1 according to penn.  I guess it depends on what pinion gear works, in any case a very strong little penn  and a really nice job Doug
Thanks Doug.  I do have my new 5+1 drag kit installed with steel gears.  I don't have 2.5:1 and the spool takes almost a full revolution on the third crank.  I don't know what pinion came in my 259.

On a personal note, my 259 was given to me as my first casting reel for Ulua, which my largest was about 36#  I haven't fished this reel in probably 30 years since I picked up a 113HLW for my Ulua fishing.  But, this may be a perfect little tuna reel with live bait, and I think I got to try this one out and bring this reel out of retirement.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Look at the tolerances between the spool and the side plate.

I think this reel is braid ready

BMITCH

Awesome reel Bryan! Looks like I'll need to build one of these.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Quote from: BMITCH on February 21, 2014, 04:19:44 PM
Awesome reel Bryan! Looks like I'll need to build one of these.
Bob
You know, in the past, I could easily find a 259 for $20 or less...and now the prices are going to rise...I knew I should have baught more 259s for some reason.

Enjoy folks.  Hope you can find a 259 for your building...along with a 501 spool.

Doug

Bryan your right just a good 501 spool and space bars will cost about $100 if you can find them  and that's without the 259 reel or anything else  Doug

BMITCH

I've got the Tib frame and a 501 spool. Now I just gotta keep my eye out for a decent priced 259. ;)
luck is the residue of design.

john2244