Penn 970 Left Side Plate Repair

Started by Porthos, February 22, 2014, 09:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

************* UPDATE ***************

Well...went to inspect the repaired 970 left side and found the epoxy was holding and hard as the last time I checked, unaffected by the Yamaha Marine Grease. Unfortunately, as I re-installed the plate, the upper screw left hole did a familiar and dreaded "crunch" as I tighten the screw--it wasn't anywhere near the tightness I had previously.

The old plate (left) had failed in a new location--the split is very obvlous. Could attempt another repair BUT...having a second failure, I think it's time to let it move on to "left side plate heaven."

Good thing I had the two spare side plates (one of the new ones on the right) that I spent the last two years hunting down.

Aiala

I went through this exact same hassle with one of my 980s. I epoxied the cracked left side plate, but although the reel seemed to function well, I just never felt confident that it would stand up to rigorous fishing. Then someone found me a left-side 980 plate (YAY!) which I promptly cracked during installation (EXPLETIVE DELETED!) At length, I came across a 970 left side plate, installed it with paranoid care, and voilĂ ! I now have a perfectly-functioning, totally bodacious 980 badged as a 970!  ;D

I suppose all this fussing might strike some as an excessive bother, but for those of us who love these great old Mag Power reels, it's definitely worthwhile!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

You guys are pros, so just taking a guess here. These plates are tight to begin with, are you seating them all the way, prior to tightening the screws?
I have a couple of dozen of these reel,(yes Aiala, it didn't take me long to jump on them ;D) and I haven't had any issues with the screws and plates.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Porthos

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 31, 2015, 09:53:14 PM
You guys are pros, so just taking a guess here. These plates are tight to begin with, are you seating them all the way, prior to tightening the screws?
I have a couple of dozen of these reel,(yes Aiala, it didn't take me long to jump on them ;D) and I haven't had any issues with the screws and plates.

If it was just Aiala and I having issues with the plates cracking, that's one thing, but there're others who have had the cracking as well. I had noted earlier that there is a gap between the plates and the rings because it's the outer rim of plates that sit on the rings rather than the inner face of the plates. My conjecture is that after sufficient time has past, the pressure and stress of the screws against the plate eventually weakens the plate material around the screw holes, and one will eventually crack since the "gap" provides no support to the plate under the screws. You may be right in dropping the 970 back down to 17-20lb test, just to reduce the stress on the whole reel. I've been subjecting mine to 12lbs drag from top of spool fishing 40lb test so that's almost twice as much drag.

Since I still have another spare left plate, I'm going to fish the "new" replacement until it fails (though I hope it won't for a long time). The broken plate will be replaced with the last spare, and the whole reel will then retire to a display shelf. Hopefully, by then, I'll be 100+, too old to fish the big ones, and it won't matter as much.  ;)

Alto Mare

If you did notice some space, it would then be from over tightening the screws, the outer lip on the plate fits snug with the rings. Maybe using a power drive its helping on damaging the plate, I use screwdrivers on all my reels, no power drives, usually the lowest torque stiing on those will still strip the screws, but it might be just me. :-\
These reels are very tough, I only use 17 to 20 lb because i like the feel. these could handle a little more than 12#.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

I have a couple of dozen of these reels, (yes Aiala, it didn't take me long to jump on them ;D)...

Sal, a couple of dozen??

In any case, I only use screwdrivers, too, but I must say that the Mag Power side plates have always struck me as being a bit more... delicate? brittle?... than the standard Bakelite plates. Be that as it may, mine are all in fighting form now, and henceforth I will endeavor to be super-careful whenever I service them.   :)

~A~

P.S. Porthos is certainly a "pro", but me?? Uhh.... no.

Porthos

Quote from: Aiala on February 01, 2015, 05:33:42 PM...P.S. Porthos is certainly a "pro", but me?? Uhh.... no...

In the same footsteps of Socrates, I will admit "I know that I know nothing."

Nothing but ol' fashion screwdrivers here as well. The lastest cracking happened before I even reached the previous tightness the screw had been. The two top ones I'm not too concerned about; the bars are secured internally via the rings; it's the bottom two that I prefer a littler tighter since those secure to the foot. I currently have them at just tight + maybe 1/16-1/8 of a turn more.

I also have suspicions about the Mag Pro plate material as well...it seems less durable than the old Bakelite.

Alto Mare

I've seen some of your work, you guys know what you're doing ;). Aiala, I say guys and I mean that in a very good way...you know what I mean ;D.
The plates on these reels are extremely tight, some will give you a tough time. Applying pressure at the wrong spot, when removing it from the ring, might help with the cracking.
I just asked my wife to take a pic on how I usually do it, she gave me one of these ::)... ;D.
Remove the 4 screws from the left side plate and hold the reel as I'm showing, maybe it will help :-\

Holding the handle side tight, I use the side of the spool to help push the plate out, it takes a little bit of force, but will work.
Aiala, I'm not responsible if you crack your nails ;D.

Porthos

Thanks Sal, for the pics. I've done that as well with mixed success. I currently have NO intentions of removing that left side plate from its ring to minimize risk.

Another option, since I have one spare left, is to convert and install pillar bedding, Ron (noby72) identified, to all four holes of the spare, and use it instead of just the standard factory plate config. Not quite ready to do that just yet.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Aiala on February 01, 2015, 05:33:42 PM
I have a couple of dozen of these reels, (yes Aiala, it didn't take me long to jump on them ;D)...

Sal, a couple of dozen??

In any case, I only use screwdrivers, too, but I must say that the Mag Power side plates have always struck me as being a bit more... delicate? brittle?... than the standard Bakelite plates. Be that as it may, mine are all in fighting form now, and henceforth I will endeavor to be super-careful whenever I service them.   :)

~A

P.S. Porthos is certainly a "pro", but me?? Uhh.... no.
Aiala, I lied ::), I thought I had a couple of dozen and only have 17, two are in pieces, still working on them

and the one that I usually use

I need to get cranking and get some more ;D...love these reels.

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 01, 2015, 07:10:38 PM
Aiala, I lied ::), I thought I had a couple of dozen and only have 17...

Only 17, hey? Well, that's a relief. For a minute there I thought you were in the grip of an obsession.   ::)   ;)

~A~

MarkT

Good job, looks like your 970 is now better than new!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Porthos

:o  :o  :o

If memory serves me correctly, you jumped on the Mag Pro bandwangon, what, less than a year ago?

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 01, 2015, 06:22:40 PM

The plates on these reels are extremely tight, some will give you a tough time. Applying pressure at the wrong spot, when removing it from the ring, might help with the cracking.
I just asked my wife to take a pic on how I usually do it, she gave me one of these ::)... ;D.
Remove the 4 screws from the left side plate and hold the reel as I'm showing, maybe it will help :-\

Holding the handle side tight, I use the side of the spool to help push the plate out, it takes a little bit of force, but will work.
Aiala, I'm not responsible if you crack your nails ;D.

Sal... thanks for this tip!

Just got my first 970 and couldn't get the left side plate off. Soaked it in hot water and got it to move just an ever so slight crack on a part of the spool. Afraid to push more or... use a blade (shudder).

Searched and found your tip. Put the right side ring and plate back on and ... pop... a clean left plate exit.

It's a tight and complex fit and needs grease for sure.

Thank you!

btw...WHAT A REEL!

Steve

Alto Mare