Parts for Centaure Pacific Spinning Reel

Started by MeanMachine, February 23, 2014, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMachine

Would anyone know where you would be able to get parts for a Centaure Pacific spinning reel that seems obsolete.  I have two of them that are in perfect condition except the bail in broken in the exact same spot.  I've looked at various garage sales and even on ebay but have been unsuccessful in getting any results. Thanks for all your help!

Damian

foakes

Is that the old Centaure Pacific with the half bail that looks like a sharpened bull's horn?

If so, you might get lucky with someone who has a stash of parts.

Otherwise, a couple of Centaures could be bought on someplace like ebay -- then you could use the bails -- and have the rest of the reels for future parts needs.  If you are going to keep and use the reels -- you will need to stockpile some parts before they become really hard to obtain.

The only problem I could see with buying some parts from Europe would be that you would likely pay as much for a couple of bails, as you could get a couple of complete reels for.

Other possibilities would be some of the European collectors -- France, Denmark, UK, etc.  The only problem would be shipping if you are in the US?

The man who taught me how to fish only used a Centaure -- and even 40 years ago, his tackle repair guy had to keep a couple of Centaures in stock to just keep his reels ready and serviced each year.

That is a pretty high quality, solid old reel -- imagine finding a 60 year old open face spinning reel with a skirted spool -- ahead of its time. 

I only have one, that I intend to keep for sentimental reasons.

Good luck -- with Alan's website worldwide reach -- you may just find exactly what you need.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MeanMachine

The reel you describe foakes is the exactly what I have. It has the skirted spool and half bail like the bulls horn. The reel itself is metallic green in color.  That reel was actually very popular in Hawaii in the pre 50s & 60s.   

philaroman

probably not very useful, but you may find this interesting.

in their early years, Olympic made an excellent knock-off.  I think, back then, Ueno Seiko was the Company name, Olympic was the reel Product Line, & Model 83 was specifically the Centaure copy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960s-NIB-Japan-OLYMPIC-MODEL-83-Mitchell-Copy-/170677623402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bd2dda6a&nma=true&si=MfFNNJeIt%252BgenFXhamqrWeff%252FQg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

...if that's not virtually identical to your reel, then maybe it was Model 84.

These early clones (82,83,84,85) are so rare, that the prices for mint-or-better are much higher then for French originals (81 was a 300-copy & somewhat more common).  I made a nice chunk of change, selling 81, 82, 83 back to Japan.  Unlike the French originals, though, there is much less interest in well-used reels & something like a bail may be compatible.

Bryan Young

OMG, I have one of those in at home in Hawaii.  I should get it and clean it up.

Sorry, I don't know of any parts.  You may want to eliminate that bull horn so it would look similar to this

There are a few other high end reels that chose this route as well...and I just cannot seem to remember them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

I have boxes full of those reels. If you could send me a picture or post a picture of what you need I'm sure I have it.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MeanMachine

Handi2

I'll send you a photo in a few days 

Thanks

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SteveA

My dad has a couple of those green Centaure Pacific spinners. I don't know how old they are but I am 50 years old and I think he bought them before I was born! That was the only reel he used for a long time with a Silaflex rod. I remember him coming home from an overnight fishing trip with the 48 qt cooler full of red fish (Mempachi and Aweoweo) and even one or two Omilu (Blue fin trevally). He retired those reels when the Penn SS spinfishers came out. Maybe your best bet for spare parts, if you cannot find someone with the parts you need, is to buy a reel on ebay for parts. I bought a couple of brown ones on ebay for $30 to $40 last year. The green ones were priced a lot higher.

Bryan Young

Steve, I think your dad is my uncle.  ;D

My step-father used to do the same kind of fishing with his.  He had a surf rod with a wooden butt that I converted to an aluminum butt .  That reel must be at least 70 years old now.  My handle is gone though, and that is the way we used to fish it for probably 10 years before I retired it and got into conventional reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Siloflex rods, those were my grandfathers favorite. He had a 13ft surf spinner that we called Long Tom. That man could throw that rig across Oceanside harbor from the bait dock to the police station! (or so I thought back then.)
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MeanMachine

That part is made of a soft aluminum.  I do not think it can be welded.

MeanMachine

Here is the photo I promised, if anyone has parts let me know the bail is broken on mine

Alto Mare

Good idea to have spare parts for such a nice reel. I would grab this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CENTAURE-PACIFIC-VINTAGE-FISHING-REEL-1-2-BAIL-SER-723275-MADE-IN-FRANCE-1-/310881064279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4861f49557
Maybe he'll let you have it for $70 shipped :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MeanMachine