Started by MeanMachine, February 23, 2014, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MeanMachine

Bryan Young

HI Fred,

How does one remove the rotor from the reel?  I removed the rotor nut and I'm not sure if the rotor unscrews from the main gear or it is keyed in some way.  The grease is like molasses, thick and sticky. 

Thanks for your help.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Good morning, Bryan --

After removing the rotor hex nut -- the rotor unscrews in the same direction.

If stuck, drip some penetrating oil down along side the threads -- might need to either jamb the pinion with a piece of wood like an ice cream stick -- or secure the threaded portion above the rotor with tape covered channel locks to do the initial break-free.

These are from the early 50's, French (code word for good luck finding parts on a reel approaching 70 years old, without a donor reel for parts).

Be careful of the bearing -- it is an odd size and very difficult to replace without a machine shop shimming job to take up slack -- because our modern bearings are different.

When I worked on these for my fishing mentors, Elmo & Jack -- always had a couple of spares around for parts.

I still have 2 or 3 of the Centaures, and one of the River Centaures that actually had a full bail.

You won't have any issues because you know what you are doing -- but if you have questions -- either Keith or I have had a little experience with these.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Thank you Fred,  That is what I had though.  Here we go...

Unfortunately, the bearings are toast.  I'll see what I can do.

Thank you again Fred.

My Ultrasonic clearer is on the fritz.  It may be a day or week before I get it fixed.  In taking it apart, I noticed that I don't have a separate heater...it's hot or nothing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Bryan --

You can buy a new SS high wattage ultrasonic cleaner on ebay for vetween $100 to $200.

I have an old L&R without heat -- that has never let me down in 20 years.

But when it goes, instead of fixing it -- I'll just get one of those newer ones.

Keith sez they operate very well.

The key to US cleaners, IMO, is enough solid state electronics to generate the sonic vibrations to clean your parts capably the first time, SS tank, and using smaller containers for varying types of cleaners -- then just dropping them into the reservoir so as to not waste expensive cleaning fluids -- and less clean up of the equipment.

All that goes in the reservoir is water -- all cleaners are in separate jars.  Quick, easy, less maintenance.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on September 14, 2017, 05:41:01 PM
Bryan --

You can buy a new SS high wattage ultrasonic cleaner on ebay for vetween $100 to $200.

I have an old L&R without heat -- that has never let me down in 20 years.

But when it goes, instead of fixing it -- I'll just get one of those newer ones.

Keith sez they operate very well.

The key to US cleaners, IMO, is enough solid state electronics to generate the sonic vibrations to clean your parts capably the first time, SS tank, and using smaller containers for varying types of cleaners -- then just dropping them into the reservoir so as to not waste expensive cleaning fluids -- and less clean up of the equipment.

All that goes in the reservoir is water -- all cleaners are in separate jars.  Quick, easy, less maintenance.

Best,

Fred

I saw pictures of your set up and it's very swift.  I do that with my small parts.

Unfortunately, many times, the frame and side plates goes in for a swim as well as they are usually filled with sand and grease.  I'm just that lucky.  But it is rewarding to know that the reel is clean and no longer grinding due to the sand.

I'll have to look at another ultrasonic cleaner.  I sure hope they are UL Listed.  I will not buy one without it.  But hey, I'm an electrical safety engineer...It's what I look for.

foakes

I just put the plates, spool, rings and frame in a zip lock with SG, or a larger wide mouth container.

Works just fine.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on September 14, 2017, 09:39:55 PM
I just put the plates, spool, rings and frame in a zip lock with SG, or a larger wide mouth container.

Works just fine.

Best,

Fred
Fred, you are a genius.   I would not have thought about zip lock bags.

This will help separate parts too...brass, aluminum, stainless steel, and the ??? What is this made of parts.

happyhooker

Those old French spinning reels are something.  Been trying to run down a Bretton 804 with the hammered-look green paint, but with some trepidation, as I fear parts would be tough to find.  They had a tie to Zangi,  and Ocean City and Martin Mohawk supposedly did some distributing for them in US starting in the 50s.

The French were good for doing things differently than anyone else.  Think, especially, French cars and bicycles from the '60s-'80s.

Frank