Fin Nor Ahab Spinning Reel?

Started by Capt Ahab, February 24, 2014, 11:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Ahab

Have a few Fin Nor Ahab Spinning reels - one has an "occasional" malfunction with the anti reverse - it will suddenly let loose and not work.

Any ideas?

Does Alan (or anyone else) work on these reels? 

johndtuttle

The Ahab reels use barrel style needle clutch under the spool and possibly a pinion bearing. I searched for a schematic briefly but did not find one, just a list of parts available.

If it is intermittent then it is either gummed up with old grease or there is some corrosion present. You have to get down to the clutch and remove it then attempt rehabilitation by flooding it with Corrosion-x or similar anti-corrosion oil. Get some in there then run a rag through it twisting it the free spinning way to work the oil around, then the opposite way to remove rust.

Replacement parts and ARB may be available from this source: http://www.rodnreeldepot.com/index.php?sifrom=fi.php&sipopt=BOOKMK&siprog=index.php&sioptn=fd.catlst.php&siparm=&sipart=&sicidx=100&sisrch=

But I have not used them so cannot verify their service. I wouldn't spend the money to replace the bearing (~$20) unless I did a look inside the rest of the reel to see if it was worth it as corrosion may be present in other areas.

best

Bryan Young

I've serviced similar spinners where the ARB is failing...usually due to salt build up with the activation spring/lever under the rotor.  It may need a good desalting and cleaning, and hopefully it's not rusted then I treat with TSI or CorrosionX periodically.

Good luck.  If you need help servicing them, let me know.  Either I or Jim Nomura can help (We all know Alan hates spinners).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!