Shimano Baitrunner 6500B

Started by BigT, June 08, 2010, 01:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelSmith

Nice job on the tutorial! I thought of doing this too but didn't have the time to document it when servicing this reel.

A quick note for the friction ring (#7430) located on the top of the body and under the rotor, The purpose of this is to provide friction on the rotor to keep it from rotating when casting. When the bail is flipped up in the casting position, the trip arm is pushed down onto the friction ring to hold the rotor stationary when casting. Without the friction ring in place, everything will still work however the rotor can rotate enough to interfere with casting.

Ralph
Ralph
Catch'em up!

Brendan

Wow, you did such a nice job I thought I could do it. I left it last night, had to walk away. I have not given up yet but am questioning why I would attempt a reel service with 130 pictures in the tutorial.
Thanks for taking the time, Brendan.

Solidwire

Thanks Big T for this write up. I successfully overhauled the Baitrunner 6500B that was dropped in sand and had a good amount inside. The bail would not even function. It's super smooth now. The step by step with pictures was VERY helpful. Thanks again.

Edit, just realized this write up was by Big T. Thanks again.

fisher480

My Baitrunner stories dates back to the very early 90's. I had my 4500 fully apart for service when the phone rang. We has a massive breakdown at work and I needed the money in overtime. It was three weeks before I got back to it. I really had to think about it but I got there. Really I don't find them that hard to service just break them down in sections.

Quoc_Pham

How different are the 4000D/6000D?

I plan on doing a tutorial of one in the near future here.

shakes

wowowowow! Great tutorial! I'm used to the likes of Penns and Mitchells, and seeing that the 6500B has a pot metal main gear, as does my 760L, I may just stick with the Penn...and at only 61 years old my vision and fine motor skills aren't up to the 6500B needs.

MidTNKayakAngler

Thanks for the tutorial BigT.

I just received one of these 6500B's in the mail for a service and broken Anti Reverse Lever. I figured I'd look on this forum to see what I'm getting into. Looks Like I'll order the parts that are needed before I start tearing this reel apart. In hand the reel feels good, but I'll be doing a full service breakdown, clean and re-lube along with replacing the drag washers with Carbontex. I think I'll wait to tackle this one after the holidays and when I'm not working 60-80hrs a week at my bill paying job.

Jeremy

fishz

Without this tutorial i would be lost.Have just rebuilt 6500A circa 1992.This thread helped big time!
Thanks Rodger.

MidTNKayakAngler

It took weeks for the parts, but it was reassembled, and shipped back to its owner in great working condition.

exp2000

Don't ask me why but nearly 80% of the spinners I get are Baitrunners.

What really impresses me is the effort you guys put into writing these tutorials.

Gotta be a hell of a lotta work. They can really help when you get something tricky.

Muchos Kudos :)

~

gottmoore

I've lost the ability to see the pictures. They have been replaced by a notification from photoshop. I checked mine, it's OK. Is there anything I should know?
I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS TUTORIAL!

ribelt

All the photos for this rebuild are gone, only photobucket images are visible.

festus

Quote from: ribelt on October 30, 2017, 08:08:12 PM
All the photos for this rebuild are gone, only photobucket images are visible.
I was having the same problem until I switched my browser to Google Chrome from Firefox and downloaded this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon?hl=en-USix.