best budget 2-speed reel

Started by Russ57, June 09, 2010, 12:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ57

Title tells it all.  Perhaps it is best if I mention what I have, fish for, and why I'm considering one???

I'm in the miami area.  Other than marlin and swordfish all the top water fish aren't that big and with a good drag and enough line can be caught on light line.  Think sails, dolphin, wahoo types.  The bottom fish are a different story.  Amberjack are tough fighters and the first few feet of a grouper battle is no joking matter.  At present I use an Avet LX for the former and baja special for the latter.  I have never owned nor used a 2-speed reel.  Never saw the need.  Alas now I am old and frail and find myself considering one if it is affordable.

I could see myself using it primarily as a bottom fishing rig mostly for grouper.....call the fish 40-60 pounds.  It could (or maybe have baja special do this??) see some use as a trolling outfit, likely with monel line or on a downrigger.  That would be for king mackeral and wahoo....call the fish 40-80 pound range.  Hard part is trolling speeds could be as high as 17 knots and weights near 4 pounds.

These days I'm lucky to get out once a month and even then aren't always in waters for this type of fishing so it won't see a lot of use.  I do need it to be corrosion resistant enough to not require a lot of maintenance.  Needs to be able to handle a multi-day trip in salt water.  I need 50-60 pound topshot...at least 350 yards total capacity....and something that will cope with a pretty high drag setting....say 20-30# range...but with enough gears/anti-reverse for me to thumb/button it down and ride the rail for brief perioids.

What must I spend?

conchydong

Russ, In my opinion, if you really want a two speed for monel wire line wahoo and kingfish trolling, look on e-bay or a fishing forum for a used Penn 50S or if you want more capacity a 50SW. You can always easily service it and put new drags in. The monel will eventually trash the anodizing on the spool and there is no sense on spending big money on some of the more expensive two speed reels. If you want a multi purpose reel spooled with Spectra than your options are almost unlimited depending on how much you want to spend. By the way, I hi speed with spectra and it gets the lure and trolling sinker almost as deep or just as deep as the wire because of the thinner diameter.

Bryan Young

Back in the day, I had replaced the boom of several downriggers with trolling rod tops for similar purpose.  Be sure the downriggers have adjustable drag systems as some are direct drive.  I suppose you could use the normal boom, but we liked the flex of the rods vs. the stainless steel boom.  Worked great.  Hope your hunt is a good one.  Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Russ57

That penn 50s looks a LOT bigger than what I need.  I was thinking along the line of 350 yards of 80# braid and a short (50 yards?) 50# top shot.  Just want to catch some grouper.

conchydong

Quote from: Russ57 on June 11, 2010, 06:19:53 PM
That penn 50s looks a LOT bigger than what I need.  I was thinking along the line of 350 yards of 80# braid and a short (50 yards?) 50# top shot.  Just want to catch some grouper.

OK, than thats different than high speed wireline trolling. A shimano tyrnos 16 or a Okuma Cavalla 15 would be the best bang for the buck IMO. You can find some pretty good deals on both of these because Shimano is pushing the Talica and Okuma is pushing the Makaira. If you want more expensive than the tyrnos or cavalla you have the two reels aforementioned and then you have Avets, Accurates etc... and the list goes  and on.

mackereljoe

If you can find it, Avet EX40.  I have one filled with 300 yards of 80# braid and 100 yards of 60# mono.

alantani

agreed!  i think the avet 4/0 two speed is worth it's weight in gold!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!