PENN SS SERIES COMMON BREAK/FIX ISSUES AND MODS

Started by LTM, February 28, 2014, 08:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuck

A little while back Jack Erskine's In Cairns, Australia still had some bail roller bearing conversions for the 950ss only.

LTM

Thanx Surfcaster and Mark,

Thats the kind of info that will work for someone to follow up with.

Leo

mhc

Quote from: surfcaster on March 01, 2014, 05:59:40 PM
Scotts still has these bail conversions for braid on their site under reel custom links.....
[][/img]

Looks like the roller conversions are out of stock for both the 4500-5500 size and the 6500/650 - 8500/850 size. I followed the link on scotts - they are still listed but are flagged 'discontinued/unavailable' see below link;

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/000P24-8500SP.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cone

MHC, I looked and it showed they were still in stock. They had a price in the box. Scotts site shows $0.00 in the price box when they aren't available. Limited to two of them at 42.5o or so. It was the same for the one for the 7500ss.   I take that back it does look like the 8500ss is unavailable but the 7500ss is.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

MFB

There's a thing on the Scott's site you have to select your model reel before you can add it to the cart, it took me a few goes before I realised  :)

Rgds

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

mhc

Thanks Bob/Mark - I thought I had looked at all sizes  - first the 5500ss and 8500ss, the two sizes I'm interested in, and then the others, but you're right - the 7500 is still available. (The 8500 still shows a price, but not an 'add to cart button')

I have been following Leo's post with interest, after 25 years in the baitcaster / conventional reel wilderness, I've decided to get a couple of basic spinners and have been caught up in Sal's enthusiasm for US made SS Penns and have bought a 550ss and am looking at buying an 850ss

Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

LTM

Gents,

What are your thoughts on the bail-less/manual bail kits for mono or braid for the SS?

Leo

MFB

That would come down to personal preference, but if you plan to use braid I would still recommend a titanium line roller.

Rgds

Mark
                                                   Isaac Walton

LTM

Mark,

I plan to do some surf/shore casting and I also plan to use braid on my 750. Therefore I was thinking bailless/manual bail, but I dont think that they come with titanium rollers that I know of. Have you or anyone else out there with the braid upgrade kit experienced any bail closing issues  with heavy plugs/lures?

Thank you for your responses,

Leo

BogueSounder

LTM

For us "those other guys" who dont have stainless Ketaz stainless: rachetz/dogz (like that dont ya Lee?),

Which of the dogs on the dual dogs spinners do you see failing the most (passive vs active dog)?  What about ANY spring failure(s)? Is there a heavy duty bail spring to help when casting heavy lures as in upgrade kits, etc.?

Is there any advantage to using oil in any of the bearings, instead of packing them all in grease?  Penn vs ABEC5/7 bearings?

I know Im asking about break/fix issues, Im also open to comments highlighting maintenance specific attention aside from the fundamental Alantani process also. Service tips!

For your personal SS reels, whats your inspection/service schedule, major vs minor?  Whats the difference if any between your major vs minor service? What type of extreme environment service do you do depending on the environment/duration between service for these reels? Ive seen some abused reels on ebay and cant imagine what those reels were exposed to and they still work !!

I thank you for sharing your knowledge,

Leo

MFB

Hi Leo,

Not yet. But I'm fishing from a boat so I don't have to cast as far as you, here's a selection of the lures I have been using. Haven't had anything note worthy grab one yet.

Rgds

Mark
                                                   Isaac Walton

LTM

LTM

Quote from: MFB on March 03, 2014, 04:57:23 AM
Hi Leo,

Not yet. But I'm fishing from a boat so I don't have to cast as far as you, here's a selection of the lures I have been using. Haven't had anything note worthy grab one yet.

Rgds

Mark
Glad to hear your not having any bail issues with your upgrade kit Mark. But like you said, your distances are shorter from a boat as opposed to from shore.

Thanx Man,

Leo