What, exactly, is a Penn "99"?

Started by Aiala, March 01, 2014, 09:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

I must confess that I'm a little unclear as to what constitutes a Penn "99"... is it from the Jigmaster family, Long Beach, Silver Beach, or what?

I'd be most appreciative if some kind soul would enlighten me.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Lensters

The 99 is known as the Silver Beach.  It isn't in a family of other reels and mysticparts.com list it as a misc., standard conventional...

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Conventional.aspx#Standard

I'm guessing they are fairly rare as my records indicated I've never worked on one.  Looking through the parts list it appears to share a lot of parts with the Longbeach series of reels (the 60s in particular).

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

The width of the 99 is half way between a 500 and a 501 with 3:1 gears.  It is similar to the Jigmaster and some parts are interchangeable but not all. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Aiala

Aha, I see... I think. So, the "99" is basically a Jigmaster 500 with a slightly narrower stand, bars and spool (but not as narrow as a 501). Presumably, then, the internals are such that it could be upgraded to a 5:1 ratio?  :)

~A~

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on March 02, 2014, 12:38:37 AM
Presumably, then, the internals are such that it could be upgraded to a 5:1 ratio?  :)

~A~

The only way to do this is to use a 500/501 side plate to get 4:1, I'm not sure if a 505/506 side plat fits.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: Keta on March 02, 2014, 12:44:11 AM
Presumably, then, the internals are such that it could be upgraded to a 5:1 ratio?  :)
~A~
The only way to do this is to use a 500/501 side plate.

Exactly what I was thinking! 500 sideplate(s) + Tiburon P29K Frame & Spool + 5:1 gears = One fast Penn "99" Conversion (and trashed bank account... yikes. :P )

Many thanks for the info, gents.

~A~

Keta

I have 2 99 width Tib frames with 500/501 side plates and factory 4:1 gears.  I also have Surfmaster 250/501 Franken reels (250N) that are 3:1.

Mark Twain

maxpowers

Quote from: Aiala on March 02, 2014, 12:54:24 AM
Quote from: Keta on March 02, 2014, 12:44:11 AM
Presumably, then, the internals are such that it could be upgraded to a 5:1 ratio?  :)
~A~
The only way to do this is to use a 500/501 side plate.

Exactly what I was thinking! 500 sideplate(s) + Tiburon P29K Frame & Spool + 5:1 gears = One fast Penn "99" Conversion (and trashed bank account... yikes. :P )

Many thanks for the info, gents.

~A~

Or you can get a Newell 332 which is a 99 sized jigmaster with the fast 5:1 gears.

thanks for the correction jigmaster501..

jigmaster501

The Penn 99 is a Silver Beach reel.

It has 6 screws on the reel base and the left sideplate and rings are not interchangeable with the jigmasters. The right side plate can be swapped out with a jigmaster right side plate as the quick change feature is the same between the reels.

The gears share the same main as the squidder using a 6-60 drag washer and is a 3:1 gear ratio.

It is the same size as a Newell 332.

This is basically a narrowed down Penn 250 Surfmaster and I think the main and pinion gears are interchangeable.

Good condition reel bases are impossible to find. The only upgrade reel base that can be used is the Newell base for their 4/0 yellowtail special.

If you want to use a 500 jigmaster spool on this reel you could use the regular Newell 4/0 conversion base.

My friend has a few and I went over all this with him trying to find a base for one that was corroded.

One of his reels, he had a machinist friend of ours drill and tap the different holes in a Tiburon frame. Came out nice.

Lensters

Wow, I learn something new everyday.  I'd heard that called an Albacore Special but not a "99".  Why don't we call it a 599 to differentiate from the stock 99?
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

intili

AHA! Alan and I talked about this in 2008, we figured out the 500 Jigmaster R/H side assembly fit right on! Best Upgrade for the 99Silver Beach giving a faster 4:1 ratio, better 309 drags. The original side plate has the small 6-60 drags and 2.5:1 ratio, too slow! In its original configuration, not too functional. But as a narrow jigmaster, its a great reel! hence the 99Jigmaster! cheaper than finding the newell base and bars to narrow a standard 500 Jigmaster.

I have one of these, oversized handle, SS fine thread gear sleeve with larger star drag, added HT100 under the gear, and all hex head stainless screws. These also originally came with a plastic spool as well as chromed brass. Mine has the chromed brass spool, great for wire line trolling 30 or40#. I'm selling it for $75.00, in the for sale forum, tight lines!

alantani

the older japanese guys living in southern california really loved this old coversion.  they were used on the day boats and overnight boats for albacore runs. lots of history there.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Hello Aiala,

Below are some pics of Penn Silver Beach No. 99 reels and how they compare in size to a Penn Jigmaster 501 and Penn Jigmaster 500.  The 3 reels in the back are Penn 99 reels.

Penn 99 vs. Penn Jigmaster 501.

Penn 99 vs. Penn Jigmaster 500

Some examples of a Penn Jigmaster 501 or 500 coverted to the size of a Penn Silver Beach 99 reel. The reel in the back is a Penn Silver Beach 99 reel.

John