helpin do the math on square area calculations!

Started by gstours, March 05, 2014, 03:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I too tutored Chem, and Organic in college...not quantitative, P-chem or inorganic though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

gstours

Thanks again for Tutoring us old fisherpersons , on the merits of stayin in school.  But seriously, explaining how things work will help us all to understand and make better choices and help others as well.  maybe make a better world........
  The reel I chose could accept a larger drag washer (O.D.) by almost .75'' and would have to do a minor amount of machine work. as well as make a new (larger dia.) sst drag plate, as the plate has 2 ears it just sits in there, being held by the ears from rotating.
    So lets do the math again, what would be gained?????  the current dragwasher is 1.70 O.D. and is approx. .370'' wide so its center hole is approx .685''  I could increase the new drag washer to 2.00''dia.    with a center hole of .950''dia.  then the width of the washer would be .675'',   this is what was planned, the reel is overbuilt for its earlier rating with monofiliment, it didnt need to be better as at the time it was considered the best, at the time 1960-70 remember when gas was 39-59cents????????
   It seems like what I,m hearing increasing the diameter will be the reason it can achieve higher drag ratings, and it would be a great project for me, as I pondered the outcome.  what percentage of area would be gained?  how much more drag before loosing freespool?  Will I Have pictures for the show and tell??????

maxpowers

gst,

The gain in the actual area will probably be very small but as John has stated earlier, the extra .300" of outer radius you increase will actually help you increase the drag substantially.  Probably more than you expected.

Ron Jones

I am not a lever drag guy, so correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the cam acting on the larger plate will significantly increase the force on the drag washer and that will increase drag considerably.
Ronald

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Gary, you already know your gonna increase it. Then put it on the "modified" drag testing machine where you hang some ridiculous amount of lead ball weight and than post some really cool pictures. ;) ;D can't wait to see what ya got.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.