Low Profile Abu ORRA SX2 Levelwind?

Started by Prefessa, March 10, 2014, 02:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Hi Guys:

These bait casters do not have the sychronized level winds of the round reels....I recently purchased one....but how does that affect casting? Is the distance less or does it backlash more often?

I do know from playing with it the drag is not as silky when the line is at severe angles. Makes me think that when a fish is taking drag you be best served taking a portion of a crank and centering the levelwind.

There must be a practical reason for this amongst the FW Bass crowd. No matter what the brand they all do that...and they all hold the same miniscule amount of line.

Ken_D

No bass here, therefore no orra reels. Is it like most of those pos bass reels, where the spool is about 3/4 of an inch across? If this is so, then who needs a level wind that's in sync with the line. The carriage and the line would line up in about 10 turns of the crank, yes?

And as regards casting, same as... the slight angle diff ought to be of no consequence, on a narrow spool.  For verification, you can click or call Pure fishing. It's not overly smoky behind me yet, but pencils do have erasers. ;D

Prefessa

Thanks Ken...I just had to have one....Dicks Sporting Goods was pumping em out cheap...by the time I cashed in a coupla' rewards coupons.....They Owed Me Money!... ;D

Nice little reel for light braid and bucktails for Summer Flounder here in NJ....

philaroman

Quote from: Prefessa on March 10, 2014, 08:55:45 PM
Thanks Ken...I just had to have one....Dicks Sporting Goods was pumping em out cheap...by the time I cashed in a coupla' rewards coupons.....They Owed Me Money!... ;D

Nice little reel for light braid and bucktails for Summer Flounder here in NJ....

just be wary of any reel that's a Dick's "exclusive" -- hopefully your ORRA SX2 is a standard model, available elsewhere

Prefessa

It's the new Abu Orra 2 that came out late in 2013 they were making room for the 2014 reels. They go for a hundred bucks retail. They were belting them out for 30% off in early jan

philaroman

Good for you, man -- you didn't get stuck with a Dick's Exclusive bait-&-switch.