Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_reel_doc

Quote from: BMITCH on November 19, 2014, 06:14:43 PM
Hi Mike, really nice collection. Quick question...in the first pic what is the spinner??
Bob

Looks like a Luxor

Penn Chronology

I like to share info so here are a couple of answers to your questions:

First---The spinner is a 1954 Luxor. In time the Luxor, made in France, became one to the hottest Surf Reels on the East Coast until the Spinfisher 704 hit the market. The Luxor is built like a tank and it is heavy. In its last version it was known as the Crack 300.

Here is one sitting next to a Penn 155, this particular reel has been modified to a Manual Pick Up:

Second Question--The Senators--The line up on the shelf is a 4/O, two 6/O's, three 9/O's, 10/O, 12/O and a 14/O. The Rose Wood Door Knob handle is very rare, Penn used it on prototype and presentation reels mostly but a few did leave the factory. I have had two of them come into my possession over the years. One I used to trade for a NOS First year 4/O in the box, the other I still own. I think I remember seeing about 2 or 3 more trade hands in the last few years. That handle knob was also pictured on a first year 12/O in Harlan Majors 1930's book about Saltwater Tackle. This knob is on a 1937 or 38 reel. The knob on the first Senator is actually funny because it is small, like an early Long Beach.

Here are three early 9/O's, the one sitting on the first Senator box is a 1936 / 37 Senator:

Glad you liked the reel seat display. Sometimes you can good deal on a bunch of reel seats on EBay. I bought a bunch of these for a super low price and just slid them onto a dowel locking them in place with a single set screw in each one. Makes it easy to display reels and interchange them whenever you feel like it.

BMITCH

Thanks Mike. Great collection. The Luxor reminded me that I have a 704Z greenie that I was van stallizing. I should revisit it and finally finish it. Thanks for the pics.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Tightlines667

Mike,
Just out of curiosity...can you make out any particularily special or valuable older reel models in this pic I took of a collection owned by a local fishing shop here in Oahu?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike,
Just out of curiosity...can you make out any particularily special or valuable older reel models in this pic I took of a collection owned by a local fishing shop here in Oahu?

Looks like an Atlapac and a Ocean City 12/O on the lower left. On the lower right there is a monster 16 or 18/0 super big game reel. From the looks of all the others, a person could put a large amount of money away by selling those reels one at a time on EBay. Combined the Atlapac and OC 12/O are worth about $700 to a grand. No way of knowing what the big guy on the right is worth without knowing what kind of reel it is. Some of those really large big game reels have very rich histories and their values follow suit, other do not.
         Antique value are always a crap shoot. I have seen hot items sell cheap and cheap items sell hot. Depends on who is in the bidding mix. One thing is for sure, the reels in that cabinet have a ball park value of a grand or two (plus or minus a few dollars) as a bundle deal.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 19, 2014, 02:16:48 PM
Here are a couple of dusty old shelves in my office:

The top row of Penn Senators are all pre-WWII. Their head plates are set up different than post war Senators.
Cool stuff Mike ;), thanks for sharing with us.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marlinmate

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 19, 2014, 08:23:25 PM
Mike,

Are the lures and lure heads for sale?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Penn Chronology

Tightlines667

Quote from: Marlinmate on November 20, 2014, 02:56:16 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 19, 2014, 08:23:25 PM
Mike,

Are the lures and lure heads for sale?

Nope...unfortunately not.  All lures and reels are part of their collection and are not for sale.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

Tightlines, I'd like to find out more about that behemoth on the bottom right? Bet there's some serious history behind that thing? Can you find out for us if you get a chance? Thanks!
Mike, I just assumed it was 1/0-16/0 because there's the right amount for it to be.  That handle looks like a cabinet knob in my parents old summer house, but very cool and different than any Penn reels I've ever seen.
I missed out on one of the coffee grinder knobbed Senators about a year ago... sometimes ya got to know when to fold 'em, know? 8)
Nice collection, thanks for wetting our whistles,
Dom

Shark Hunter

I've seen this case before from John and that was the first reel I asked about Dom. ;)
I need to find that post.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

broadway

Daron, you've got quite a memory... Thanks for the link.
I have to see what's up with Templar reels... That thing is crazy big. Does it come with a pedestal to hold it up while you fish? ;D
Dom

BMITCH

QuoteDaron, you've got quite a memory... Thanks for the link.
I have to see what's up with Templar reels... That thing is crazy big. Does it come with a pedestal to hold it up while you fish?
Dom

No a plinth ::) ;D
luck is the residue of design.

broadway

LOL... sounds about right!
Dom