Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Those pics. look like a table full of fun, choices and long-term value!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

Thank You G.
John keeps twisting my arm.
He wants to see it all.
I don't know if he is ready for that.
I know I'm not. ;)
Life is Good!

thorhammer

I'm in. As a matter of fact I'm gonna start posting mine up to flush you out lol.   The difference, like with Sal, is I have a lot of reels but a lot of yard sale five dollar 209's. They have SS's NIB..

Benni3

There some very great reel collections here  ;D and Marlo going to ready like the ham,,,,I will ask him if he gets the skip  :D

fishmeluck

Just finished upgrading the drag last night in the 533. All purchased upgrades for my Newell's are installed. Here's the line-up, left to right below: S533-4.6, S338-5, G332-F, G229-F, and C220-5. All of them will free spool for sixty seconds, although they do make funny little Newell-ish noises when they spin fast.

The 533 was a purchase from Newell Nut around Christmas, 2015. It came with the black Tiburon frame and I fished it several times before doing anything to it. It's really nice, so light. After a short time, I upgraded the gear sleeve to SS. Just last night, I upgraded to the five-stack drag and SS handle with kokelar grip. It took some tinkering to get the drag just right, but now it's perfect again.

The S338-5 was purchased used from a fellow who had neglected it such that the spool would not turn. I got a good deal on it, figuring it would not be expensive to fix, and that was true. It was not expensive, but not expensive and not hard are not the same thing. The reel had apparently sat on its left side-plate while wet allowing water to puddle in the bearing cup. The bearing and spool shaft were rusted together and not easy to separate. Once separated, however, all it needed were new spool bearings. This one hasn't been fished yet, but it has the SS gear sleeve, five-stack drag, and SS handle/kokelar grip upgrades.

The G332-F was purchased two summers ago, as part of a lot including many rods and reels from a retired fellow living in Palm Desert. So, it was a good deal also. Interestingly, it came loaded to the brim with white 65 lb braid, and did not appear to have ever been fished. That's a lot of braid! It sat on a shelf until recently when I got the bug to upgrades reels again. Like the 338, it now has the SS gear sleeve, five-stack drag, and SS handle/kokelar grip upgrades.

The G229-F was purchased on Ebay. It wasn't really a steal, but it was a bargain, because it came from Michigan, and it appeared to have been fished only a few times, in fresh water. It must have sat around for a long time, because the spool felt like the owner's preferred lubricant was chewing gum. Surprisingly, it cleaned up well and didn't even need new bearings. It has the five-stack drag upgrade, and I replaced the original handle with the longer handle from one of the 300-series reels. This reel was used several times for shallow water rockfishing before the upgrades, and I really liked it for that application.

The C220-5 was my first Newell purchased at a bargain price from a fellow who, I think, just didn't like the C-series. So, he let me have it for $100. From what I've read, the C-series doesn't have the best reputation, but mine is in very good condition, and I've had no problems at all with it. All it really needed was new spool bearings to spin like a top. I fished it several times before upgrading anything, and it really does cast a 2 oz jig amazingly well. The 220 was upgraded the same day as the 229 and I made the same changes to both reels.

If I were to do one more upgrade, it would be to move the short arm/grips from the two 300-series reels to the two 200 series reels, and put new long arm/grips on the 300-series reels. Those long, 3-position SS arms are really nice and would give me the option of short-throw for jigging and long-throw for bait or bottom fishing.

Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Alto Mare

Nice line-up, fishmeluck! Newell Nut made me one as well a couple of years back, you got the right guy.

Enjoy those beauties.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Nice set of Newells. The 2 G's are early ones with metal clickers and graphite spools, When Newell was at the top of their game. Thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

That's a reel quality stand you have there; nice going!

John

rogan

Dang it!!! I just got BUSTED.

I'm reading this post from the beginning and admiring some of the great photos, when my wife gets home from her evening teaching job.  She takes a seat next to me at the computer and starts a conversation about her day.  Being an attentive husband, I stop reading the post and engage her in conversation (but fail to close the web page). Mistake #1. After a bit, she looks at the photo of many reels covering a kitchen table and says "You've got more reels than that".

I immediately reply "No I don't".
She replies, "Yes you do".
I reply, "No, I dont" and proceed to count the reels in the photo, triumpfantly proclaiming that there are more than 75 reels visible in the photo, and that I don't have nearly that many...  Mistake #2
She replies, "Yes u do" and walks out of the room and into the garage where I keep my gear.
I avoid mistake #3 by remaining in the house next to the computer until she returns...

"I count 37 reels that I can see, and know you have several more in the box on the shelf!"

OHHH CRAP!!!

I hate it when I get busted...

mrwilson99

lol another reason I don't dare to post all my reels out as that would involve laying everything out.

Quote from: rogan on January 30, 2018, 11:39:32 PM
Dang it!!! I just got BUSTED.

I'm reading this post from the beginning and admiring some of the great photos, when my wife gets home from her evening teaching job.  She takes a seat next to me at the computer and starts a conversation about her day.  Being an attentive husband, I stop reading the post and engage her in conversation (but fail to close the web page). Mistake #1. After a bit, she looks at the photo of many reels covering a kitchen table and says "You've got more reels than that".

I immediately reply "No I don't".
She replies, "Yes you do".
I reply, "No, I dont" and proceed to count the reels in the photo, triumpfantly proclaiming that there are more than 75 reels visible in the photo, and that I don't have nearly that many...  Mistake #2
She replies, "Yes u do" and walks out of the room and into the garage where I keep my gear.
I avoid mistake #3 by remaining in the house next to the computer until she returns...

"I count 37 reels that I can see, and know you have several more in the box on the shelf!"

OHHH CRAP!!!

I hate it when I get busted...

David

thorhammer

well, that was a great tactical move on your part, sir.  where I got sunk is debating (arguing) what exactly is "few"...

as in, "How many reels did you buy at the yard sale?" is a totally different answer than "How many reels do you own?" ....

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

rogan

Here are the Pro Gears.

Just got the Wahoo last week

rogan

Quotewell, that was a great tactical move on your part, sir.  where I got sunk is debating (arguing) what exactly is "few"...

as in, "How many reels did you buy at the yard sale?" is a totally different answer than "How many reels do you own?" ....

Thorhammer, as the saying goes, "This aint my first rodeo".  I've made that tactical blunder a time or two in the past, finally starting to remember my history.  I even remembered not to compare my "collection" to one of hers.  We all know where that dark path leads...

thorhammer

yeah i made a comment about a bunch of shoes once. just once