Avet LX Reassemle Problem

Started by egarratt14, November 29, 2014, 07:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egarratt14

Benn putting this off for a couple of weeks now.  Note I am a complete rookie.

Took apart and reassembled an SX and MX.  Did the same for my LX, and it is not coming back together.  Everything on the spindle seems fine, but when I slide the side plate on and wiggle it into position, I am always left with a gap between the spool and the side plate.  I have tried everything.

The last pix is the most descriptive of the actual problem.

akfish

Do you have the pinion gear upside down? If so, it won't fit in the pinion bearing and you'll be left with that gap.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

i always put the right side plate and spool together first, then align the crosspin on the left side of the spool shaft with the left side plate and put it all together. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Quote from: alantani on November 29, 2014, 10:29:29 PM
i always put the right side plate and spool together first, then align the crosspin on the left side of the spool shaft with the left side plate and put it all together.  

Much easier to do it this way so you are not fighting the drag plate and pinion alignment. Put the right side together first by holding the spool in you left hand (if you are right handed) and align the spool shaft, drag plate and pinion gear. Push it all together so the end of the spool shaft sticks out and install the clutch lever.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

egarratt14

Great.  I will give that a shot in the morning.

SoCalAngler

I put my reels together like you do, left side first then right. Just the way I taught myself before comming here. For me since I do it backwards...now that I found in this thred, I have to put the right side on turned a bit  to the left or counter clockwise. As I slide the right side down onto the spool shaft and when the frame gets close the right side comming together I turn the right side clockwise to its correct position. When I do this I feel a slight click or pop as everything lines up and comes together.

Never knew I was doing it backwards until now.

mmayo

From the top photo is looks like the spool is not in completely.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

SDtone

Hi Eddie... I had this happen once, it was the left side spool bearing not pressed all the way in.
Do you remember if the bearing was difficult to remove? (mine was) if this doesn't work, you're welcome to stop by my place on the weekend or Tuesday at the rod building class?

handi2

90% of the time the drag pressure plate is not seated into the AR ratchet and pinion gear. Make sure that is right on and it will go back easily.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jon_Kol

Were you able to find a solution to the problem with your AVET?

SDtone

It was nice to meet you Eddie...glad we figured it out. There was a burr on the side plate undre the pinion bearing not letting the spool shaft all the way thru.

egarratt14

Thanks Tony for the help.  Now I just need to find a missing sideplate  screw (have 2 of 3)  to reattach the side plate to the frame and I am golden.

On to the next Avet reel with much more confidence.   

That was quite the scene at the "Rod Building Factory".