6/0 and 9/0 Springs?

Started by dogdad1, March 10, 2014, 12:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

After finishing a boxful of Senators & Levelines, and in the middle of redoing some 3/0's, 6/0's and a 9/0 (thanks, topshot), I noticed some oddities.  I'm hoping y'all can help uncoil my confusion.

1) The 3/0's and one 6/0 had a spring under the non-handle side bearing cap as did the 9/0, but only the 3/0's (and Levelines) show as having them in Scott's schematic.  Should they be there or did someone add them at a later time?

2) Can't remember where I saw it, but I do remember someone saying that the flat bent piece-of-metal dog spring should always be replaced by the coily dog-spring kind.  Yet in a lot of the tutorials, and in the last batch of parts I got from Scott's, all I see is the bent metal.  Which is preferred?  (I know from personal experience that I like the bent metal kind... they don't disappear as fast over my shoulder and into oblivion).

3) When reviewing the rebuild/refurb tutorials, I see that it's mostly to just get out old grease/crud and do a good lube-job and then back together.  Seems like any corrosion is often left in place, whereas I go thru lots of vinegar/etc to get everything down to the basics before starting the build.  Am I overdoing it, if all I want to do is fish it?

4) Is it always preferable to go to a set of HT-100's over the old washers?

Many thanks!
Ron
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Shark Hunter

Ron,
As far as the spring under the bearing cap. This is probably a different plate that wasn't the original. The bent metal springs are stock on most reels. It is really a personal preference when double dogging or modifying a reel. Whichever works best for you.
I remove as much crud and old grease out of the old reel as I can or have the patience for. I pay closer attention to the bearings. Fresh Grease is key to the longevity of your reel and to prevent further corrosion.
New carbon fiber drags are always a good thing. ;) Especially if the reel has the older asbestos type drags. ;)
Life is Good!

dogdad1

Ok, gotcha, thanks for the insight.  I've been called OCD on getting them as clean as I can, and sometimes to an extreme.

Oops, darn!  There went another spring....
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

DaBigOno

Quote from: dogdad1 on March 10, 2014, 12:24:02 PM

Yes, but Bryan Young's custom drag set over HT-100's.     :)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bryan Young

Quote from: Dabigono on March 11, 2014, 04:56:27 AM
Quote from: dogdad1 on March 10, 2014, 12:24:02 PM

Yes, but Bryan Young's custom drag set over HT-100's.     :)

My set uses HT-100 drag washers to make replacement easier. I just use more of them due to the thinner metal washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Here's the bearing spring for a 6/0. It is only listed for half frame reels.  
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/41-114.aspx
Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD