Problem with slipping drag on star drag reels

Started by jmsatverona, June 09, 2010, 07:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmsatverona

Hi:

I'm new and I have a question regarding slippage on star drag reels.

Recently, I overhauled an old Mitchell 600 series reel which has a drag assembly very, very much like a Penn reel with a star drag. I've overhauled my share of Penn reels, as well as the old Mitchells, and it seems that some of the Penns' drag assemblies could almost be interchanged with those of those of the Mitchell 600 series reels. So I would assume that my question could just as well apply to Penn reels as to the old Mitchell 600s.

At any rate,  I took the reel down- cleaned and re-lubed it- and put it all back together. When i checked to see if everything was OK, I noticed that I had a problem with the drag assembly. When I tightened the star drag and then cranked the reel handle, the star drag itself rotated with the handle and the drag was reduced to just about zero in 2 or 3 cranks. I tried this several times and the same problem remained. Could anyone tell me what is wrong and how the problem can be corrected ?

On other reels that I've worked on, once the drag is set, and the handle is turned the star drag itself stays where it is set despite the fact that the handle is turned.

broadway

I'm new to this, but I just bought a Penn 112h off Ebay that was missing a tension washer between the star drag and the spacing sleeve.  It did the opposite (it tightened) in 2-3 cranks.  I don't know mitchell's but maybe your missing a washer or something like that.  Good luck!
Dom

Jimmer

Try searching this site. Never had this problem, but I think I've seen it mentioned - might be in black box warnings. Good Luck
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jmsatverona

Hi Guys;

Thanks very much for your help. I really do appreciate it.

I'm going to completely disassemble the reel again and start from the beginning once again, use your help and see what happens, I'll let you know.

Again, Thanks very much for your help and your time.

Joe

jmsatverona

Hello again:

Well...  Just when we think we were "experts"....... SURE !   ???
   I took the reel down again and,sure enough, I'd goofed on the placement of the drag washers. I corrected this and the reel works just fine.
   I don't know how many reels of this type (and others) that I've taken down over the years, but it's more than I could count.I thought I could do these in my sleep. at any rate, a simple "goof" corrected and now ev is just fine.
  By the way,I did notice that my original post or question had a mistake in it(lots of mistakes here).When the star drag works correctly the star drag itself turns with the handle when you crank the handle.That is what the now corrected reel is doing. Before, when the star drag was "slipping", the star drag wheel itself would not turn as I cranked the handle. The star drag wheel itself just stayed still which, of course, resulted in my loosening the drag as I cranked the handle.
  At any rate, Thanks very much Dom,Jimmie and Alan.   Joe

dylan

jmsatverona,

Thanks for following up.  I was thinking "doesn't the star turns w/ the handle" when I finished reading.  Was about to grab one and check.  I've had a few of these too. 

dylan

Bryan Young

Funny, my friend just gave me an old Mitchell 600.  It has little drags.  Wondering what I am going to do with it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i'm home all day today and tomorrow.  swing by after work!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!