Tiagra 12 binding up. Need some input!!!

Started by the_reel_doc, March 17, 2014, 12:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_reel_doc

Hey guys. Got a Tiagra 12 that is binding up. I've read pinion bearings but I have replaced it and the spool bearings too and it's still doing it. You can turn the tension knob about 6 times and it works fine but any further and it clicks then if you turn it any more the handle completely locks up. I can't tell you HOW many times I have taken it apart and put it back together. I am at my wits end!  I have looked at schematics and everything looks to be in the right place. I checked out the tutorial on here and it all looks to be in the proper place. The shaft seems to have some play in it. Is it suppose to be that way?

alantani

what is the maximum drag that you can get before it locks up?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

-Do you have a single bearing thrust washer (TT042A), and 5 thin Bellevilles arranged |(())(Piniongear ?
-Is part TT0642, bearing thrust washer installed correctly, w/lip inside Antireverse ratchet?
-Do you have a left plate bearing shim (TT0567) just outside this?
-Did you make sure to install the Teflon Lever Shaft Washer (TT0619) under the lever shaft body?
-Is the lever thrust ring (TT0595) installed under the drag lever?
-Are the spool bearings fully seated?

-The TI12 is rated for 4lbs drag at strike, 8lbs at full, but you should be able to get 6.5 lbs at strike 10.5lbs at full w/o losing freespool.

Just a few suggestions.  If you changed out your Bellevilles make sure the total thickness of the stack is maintained..sometimes older washers are thinner then new ones.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johndtuttle

Every lever drag "locks up" at it's max setting because you have tightened the preset so high the lever can no longer climb out of the free spool "well" at the start of the drag curve. This may be what is going on.

You got some pros helping you with good advice. Basically, the drag is either set as high as it is intended to go and you don't realize it (the actual measurements of the setting will tell you one way or the other) or, as above, you are either missing a belleville, have them in the wrong order, OR, you have worn them out leaving the drag set for too long and they have lost their "spring" and the drag ramps up too fast.

best

the_reel_doc

Thanks guys. I was thinking it was the amount of drag but did not know for sure. This is the first 12 I have worked on.