Carbonex Material

Started by sundancer, December 08, 2017, 12:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Gents

Completely off topic

I have an Alvey 500 C2 Reel with new Fiber Drag Washers.

Drag is still a little weak although I have to consider that the Spool is 5" in diameter, a large leverage effect.

Can I get Carbonex material?  I would like to take a crack at making Washers for it.

Thanks
Steve 
Miles to go.....,

Smols

there is a seller on ebay named cfdrag that sells the cf drag sheets in different thicknesses. he is in fountain valley, ca. I have ordered many sheets from him and the quality is good. I did have a problem with one of the thicker sheets when I tried a punch and the punched piece split in half. now, on the thicker washer material, I just use a steel drag washer as a template and use sharp scissors to cut the drag material to size. I then sandwich the cf piece between two washers of the same size and grind the perimeter smooth with a dremel tool. there are many ways to do it. good luck.

Smols

oc1

Thank you for that Smols.  I search "carbontex sheet" on ebay and always end up with a guy in Australia.  He has great service and ships fast, but sometimes the mail is not so fast.

Having a couple of different thicknesses is handy.  You can adjust the height of the drag stack to get just the right amount of clearance above the star.

-steve

sundancer

Miles to go.....,