Lanolin

Started by Rodman, April 30, 2013, 09:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodman

Does anyone use lanolin on their reels.  I use it because it does not have a petroleum base but is made from sheep wool grease which is natural.  By coating your reel with it it does not matter if you get it on our  mono or fluorocarbon or braid as it does not affect your bait ,lures or fish

Ken

wallacewt

i use it sometimes on the outside of reels
cheers

Keta

It's water soluble and does not last.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CapeFish

breastfeeding women use it......

INOX

Great feedback from the Marine industry with the LANOX Heavy Duty Mx4 - Anti-corrosion Lanolin Lubricant.  LANOX is also non-static, non-conductive and non-toxic.. Doesnt dry out or wash off with water.. a must try!

Avail: 300g Aerosol, 5 L, 20L (with 500ml spray Applicator bottle) 

striperstalker

i use the Lanox on all stainless bolts and screws when mount anything to my boat, its a 26' NorthRiver Sea Hawk OS, Aluminum and stainless dont do good together. It has been working great for me.

TechTeach

Try Fliud Film.

It is lanolin based and provides very good protection and lasts.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

alantani

i use it to lube brass before reloading.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mandelstam

I've heard of people using it on sharpened hooks to not have the point dulled in salt water. Just smear it on before launching the bait/lure and it will keep the hook needle sharp all day.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

locknut

We have these products here in NZ however Lanolin is known to soften epoxy resins so it is best not to get it anywhere near your rods. There are better products to use on your gear that are water resistant  Corrosionx being one of the better known ones.

Prefessa

I don't know why Carnuba Car Wax wouldnt be prefered. I know that your car will survive many soap n water washes before rewax....And it leps protect anodized aluminum and perpaps keeps fish offal and bait slime/scales from sticking...

I know Rod Builders who will add a coat of wax to a rod before delivering to a client....To keep it showroom new!

TechTeach

I spray my rods with fluid film and never had it soften the epoxy. Gives a nice layer of protection for the metal and composites.

Some are homemade and some are production with various epoxy a like flex coat, pro kote, etc.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Eric Hensel

Quote from: locknut on April 20, 2014, 10:24:41 AM
Lanolin is known to soften epoxy resins
After it's cured? I've never seen this before.

erikpowell

I tried lanolin for awhile on my boat and around on other things...before I became a reel head.  ;D
IMHO lanolin is too tacky and ends up attracting dust, sand, and anything else floating around... it's like the stuff never dries..
I quit using it. I think there's much better alternatives for a reel... like CorrosionX... or a film of marine grease.