Penn Senator 14/0 - Grease or no grease

Started by Jackster, March 17, 2014, 01:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackster

Hello,

I am redoing a Penn 14/0 that was just purchased. I have purchased new drag washers. There is debate as to whether or not they should be greased. If you recomend, what type of grease would you suggest? I have the Penn oil and grease.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

penn grease, the blue one, should be fine. but i think the general consensus here is Cal's grease. also the new penns' out of the box have CF washers greased with their own "stuff"... :)

Nuvole

Any grease is better than no grease mate!

Shark Hunter

Definitely grease them With Cal's drag grease. Don't use regular grease on them.
Life is Good!

Keta

For the CF washers (HT-100) use either Cal's or Shimano DRAG GREASE.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Grease for sure.

Cal's grease is the one of choice here, but Shimano, Penn, Daiwa,...all have their drag specific grease.  They are all great but not necessarily available in every location.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

As long as drag grease is applied. Don't use them dry.
Life is Good!

Jackster

Excellent. I have always greased them - on my 12/0 and 9/0. I have used the Penn grease. I will look for Cal's. I just wan't to do this correctly. Getting ready for the Big Hammer Challenge in Florida.

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate this site. I don't use it often, but everytime I do, I get excellent advice. Can't wait to rip this baby apart and see what going on inside. Unfortunately it's in Florida and I am in Canada. Must wait a couple of weeks. Should give me time to track down that grease.  ;)

alantani

welcome!  you can get drag grease from the nice lady at smoothdrag.com.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lunker Larry

Jackster
Just got an order of Cals, Reelx and some CF drag washers from Dawn at Smooothdrag sent to me here in Ottawa. Took about 10 days. She usually has your order out the day you call.

LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

erikpowell

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 17, 2014, 08:13:48 PM
As long as drag grease is applied. Don't use them dry.

x2   DRAG GREASE !   .... not the Blue Penn grease on the washers.....

btw, i've never seen a Penn Drag grease... I wonder what they use in the factory if and when Penn greases their own drags washers??

anybody know?