Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

boy i'd love to use Alan T.'s gear but i'd rather use mine to discover if the modifications and tunings i did works... :D ;D

btw Bryan, are you coming? it'll will be a lot of fun... :)

Bryan Young

Quote from: Mel B on March 19, 2014, 04:23:03 PM
boy i'd love to use Alan T.'s gear but i'd rather use mine to discover if the modifications and tunings i did works... :D ;D

btw Bryan, are you coming? it'll will be a lot of fun... :)
I'm trying to work it out.  My kids have a parent participation summer program to learn about their Japanese heritage, and that will be the first of the 4 week event.  If I were to pay, and I end-up having to participate, I'll be out the cost of the trip and no fish to show for it.  And my wife also has to participate as well...we both have different duties.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i fully understand Bryan. family always first... :)

LTM

This is soooo much fun to read your comments. Gear selection/prepration before a long range trip is almost exciting as the trip itself. Its very interesting reading your rational/logic about gear selection, makes me feel like Im prepiing to go with you all. As mentioned you can get by with just 3-4 outfits which reminds me an old saying in the gun world: Beware of the man with just one gun. Meaning the guy with one gun TYPICALL is very good with it. I know from personal experience that its next to IMPOSSIBLE to "KEEP IT SIMPLE", however it really works against you to take too much gear (except for those nice enough to bring loaner gear).  You guys remind me of the US going to war and testing out all their new and improved weapons. For those taking UNTESTED gear, it would be wise to bring back-ups cause if you run into some MEAN FISH they WILL test your gear to the LIMITS.

The most important lesson Ive learned about long range fishing (really all of my fishing) is to enjoy the trip/environment FIRST, dont worry about the fish for their right below your feet. ALSO, TAKE A NOTE PAD TO TAKE NOTES/OBSERVATIONS on gear, rigging, etc, this will pay off big-time for future trips. One thing is for sure for all of you first timers, YOU WILL COME BACK MUCH BETTER FISHERMEN FOR SURE!

ENJOY EACH OTHER AND THE TRIP GUYS,

Leo

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: LTM on March 19, 2014, 07:45:04 PM
For those taking UNTESTED gear, it would be wise to bring back-ups cause if you run into some MEAN FISH they WILL test your gear to the LIMITS.

Leo, exactly my sentiments. the FTH12 Toro 50 CS550 MXJ BX-500N 750SS TLD20/40 SD have been tested and proven on freshwater species ranging from 3 to almost 30 kilos. as a newbie in this SDLR type of fishing i think it's better for me to be ready than to be disappointed because the only "gun" i brought to the fight was the wrong one...;D ;D ;D. also the only rod tested and proven is the MK-S-701M.

btw this guy who brought one gun is he a "sniper"? :) :D ;D

still have some time for you to sign up...

Big Tim

Great words Leo...Mel I agree with you...I would rather use my gear than loaner gear, but I also have to be cost conscious..That being said my wife has given me the LOOK every time I bring a new rod or reel into the house... ;D ;D ;D..I'm sure we will be OK!...Just cleaned up an ol' Okuma Catalina CT-30C (smooth) and had my Buddy Eric from Fisherman's Warehouse put a rod tip on a $10 garage sale special Seeker E glass 7'  870 for Calico Bass..If June was tomorrow I would be a whole lot richer :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Big Tim, lucky me no one is giving me the looks, i'm on vacation from them.  :) :) :)

Ron Jones

Lee,
Further back you said a 60 pound rig would be a good idea. I'm bringing one because I want to, but what fish do you think we'll get into that will need gear that big?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Big Tim

Mel: Vacations are cool! This will be my 1st. paid vacation since 2006 :-[...I am stoked!!!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Big Tim on March 20, 2014, 02:37:57 AM
I am stoked!!!

me too, except that i've been on vacation since Oct. 1998... :) :) :)

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on March 20, 2014, 02:35:37 AM
Lee,
Further back you said a 60 pound rig would be a good idea. I'm bringing one because I want to, but what fish do you think we'll get into that will need gear that big?
Ron

After I get rocked by large YT a few times I break out my 60lb rig unless we can get them mid or top water.  I might troll with it too but we will see what the crew recommends.  A 40 or 60 is what I prefer for making bait too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

saw one on youtube using a talica 12II 65# braid/50# Seaguar blue flouro  on a PHD-760XH on the 3/4 day M/V San Diego. i wonder why?  ;D ;D

take a peek;  

Keta

This one was caught on a MX 2 speed and 25lb, they were suspended at 90' over a 200' hump.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

As far as gear goes I don't really see a need for anything less than 25lb test. Maybe bring some 20lb flouro to add a short leader if you happen to get lucky and get into some early season albies and their line shy. If you happen to stop at say Cedros and you want to fish some bass their not line shy at all so 25lb plus line is fine for them. If you want to fish lite line fine but you don't want to be "that guy" to hook up to something bigger on a troll or meter stop and everyone has to wait for you to land a fish beacuse your undergunned and the school has moved on. Not to say fishing lite line is a bad thing as I do it often but doing so requires the right skills and the need to put the maximum pressure on a fish you can.

MarkT

My Lexa 300 has 50# spectra with a leader of 40-50# fluoro when I use it as Cedros.  I picked up a Lexa 400 for this year too.  Cedros YT like swimbaits almost as much as the Calicos... although the 45#er in my avatar pic was caught on a Mac fished on 50#.  My son got YT of 37 and 25# on swimbaits fished on a Curado 300EJ with 50# spectra and a 50# fluoro leader.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!