Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

how about artificials, irons yoyos etc, for YTs? what do you guys reccommend?

SoCalAngler

For yoyo and surface iron I like fishing 40lb test. You may need to step up to 50lb on the yoyo iron if you keep getting rocked. My go too reel for fishing 40lb in Baja is my JX 6/3 it offers the speed while yoyoing and power when needed by dropping to low gear. I set my drag at 10lbs at strike with line ran through the rods guides and then measured with a spring scale. Setting up my reel like this allows me more drag be moving the reels lever past strike when needed, though it is rare that I need to do this it does happen.

alantani

guys, don't go with too much gear.  figure a 60-80 pound dropper loop rig, two 50's, two 40's, two 30's and a bass rod.  you can also bring a troller, but i have five that i was going to put together. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 23, 2014, 04:46:47 PM
guys, don't go with too much gear.  figure a 60-80 pound dropper loop rig, two 50's, two 40's, two 30's and a bass rod.  you can also bring a troller, but i have five that i was going to put together. 

Will we need 50s?    What weight rods?   I'm planning on loaning gear out to those that don't have it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

Quote from: alantani on March 23, 2014, 04:46:47 PM
...figure a 60-80 pound dropper loop rig...you can also bring a troller, but i have five that i was going to put together. 

I am bringing three Daiwa 600H's that can do double duty as 60-80lb droppers and trollers (the one to be set up as 60lb can have it's topshot swapped out for 80lb in a pinch for trolling).

alantani

anything is fine, but try to keep it down to 10 rods at most. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 23, 2014, 10:24:51 PM
anything is fine, but try to keep it down to 10 rods at most. 

10 is my personal cap.  Do we really need to bring a 50 and on what class rod?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

10! Holy cow...I am under gunned for sure, that being said it doesn't look like I need a trolling set up, but could use another 40 or 50 set up...I have a G. Loomis all roller 60-100 rod that I really don't need & a Daiwa Tournament SLT30ii (old one) that I would like to unload. Not sure where to do that here on this site...The rod is new but has some storage scratches & the SLT is 30 years old but in fantastic condition...Help is appreciated.

Big Tim

Dominick

I might be interested in the G. Loomis.  What is the length and how much do you want for it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Big Tim on March 23, 2014, 11:17:03 PM
10! Holy cow...I am under gunned for sure,

Not really, some of us are gear wh....

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Dom: It's a 6' PS R72-80R SU  60-100 FAST ACTION...Depending where it's shipped I would just want my $$$ back $290.00 shipped in the US (I got a good deal).

Big Tim

please pm on my personal messages so we don't take up Alan's space

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on March 23, 2014, 11:36:42 PM
10! Holy cow...I am under gunned for sure,

Not really, some of us are gear wh....

I just want to go fishing...Never done this before and have been trying since 2006, but when you have a car fall on you it kind of side tracks you a bit...I will make do...I am a Harley who@# and proud of it ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim

Keta

I had my legs smashed in a scissor lift.

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on March 23, 2014, 11:48:20 PM
I had my legs smashed in a scissor lift.

Mine was a Honda CRV on a failed alignment rack...10" drop on the button..Major concussion and neck "n" back...I really liked that job

Porthos

10! Holy cow...I am under gunned for sure...

Just keep in mind that some of us are bringing gear just to see if the reel mods hold up or blows up... ::)