Gear For The Trip

Started by Keta, March 18, 2014, 12:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hold your horses guys,

10 rods/reels I think is max recommendation for a 13 day giant tuna trip!!!  Alan is going to be kind enough to bring 5 TROLLING OUTFITS!! Guys, thats a blessing (one MAJOR EXPENSE you dont have to deal with). The guy who brings 4-6 setups max is going to have a hell of a time. PLEASE, SOMEONE TAKE PICTURES OF ALL THE TACKLE before you leave. For the person whos been dreaming of trying different rods and reels, this ought to be a dream come true.

Dont sink the ship with tackle guys,

Leo

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on March 23, 2014, 10:42:31 PM
Quote from: alantani on March 23, 2014, 10:24:51 PM
anything is fine, but try to keep it down to 10 rods at most. 

10 is my personal cap.  Do we really need to bring a 50 and on what class rod?

IMO no a 50 sized reel will be over kill. The boat will have trollers and it sounds like others will bring them as well. 30's for trolling will be plenty or 113's should be fine. You guys will most likely be fishing for YT's, grouper and such. There is a shot at bass if you guys stay coastal, hit Cedros or Beniticto. The Lupe I don't think is open and it's early for tuna so you shouldn't run there because it's so far from everything if nothing is happening it's such a long run to anythere else. If you go offshore you will hit some of the banks like Uncle Sam and others. Hopefully you will run into some early season tuna but Cows will not be in the mix unless a miracle happens. If you do find tuna they will in all likelyhood ablies or BFT as it will be too early for YFT.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: alantani on March 23, 2014, 04:46:47 PM
...and a bass rod.  

since the rod limit is 10, and i'm not saying i'll bring 10, i'll use the PS808 and G270H-8' as my bass rods. i know it's too much but i'd rather buy rods for the primary target which is YT.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Porthos on March 24, 2014, 01:30:15 AM
Quote from: Big Tim on March 23, 2014, 11:17:03 PM
10! Holy cow...I am under gunned for sure...

Just keep in mind that some of us are bringing gear just to see if the reel mods hold up or blows up... ::)
x2 especially my 112H with PC's 5:1 gear ratio Bryan's 5+1 SS this and SS that. hopefully will catch a "monster's" that will test this reel's innards to the max (real world).

also i'm taking full advantage of it. catching and getting the fish on the boat, read it somewhere here, is a bonus. for me the challenge of hooking and the fight that follows , in short fishing, is IT. and as i put more on the boat fishing experience, most of all CONFIDENCE, then tackle becomes "SIMPLE", much simpler.

"EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED" and to put it mildly "things happen"...

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Keta on March 20, 2014, 02:42:14 AM
...rocked by large YT...

also hear this term on youtube videos, part of my research, does this mean the line broke or got unhooked? got to learn the fishing lingo. :)

Big Tim

Quote from: Mel B on March 24, 2014, 11:01:22 AM
...rocked by large YT...

also hear this term on youtube videos, part of my research, does this mean the line broke or got unhooked? got to learn the fishing lingo. :)

Mel: I believe the term getting rocked is referring to the fish heading into the rocks and breaking or cutting your line. That being said I will just bring my ol' Buck knife and snorklke & you and I can just go get em the old fashion way ;D ;D ;D...Have a great day!!!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

...That being said I will just bring my ol' Buck knife and snorklke & you and I can just go get em the old fashion way...
end quote

good one.  :) :) :) in here we call it "covardia" the cowardly way. :D ;D ;D

Keta

Quote from: Mel B on March 24, 2014, 11:01:22 AM
...rocked by large YT...

When a YT is on structure they tend to use the sharp rocks to cut you off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

ok Lee, no wonder we need up to 50lb mono/fluoro line to have that extra umph=to stop that beast... :)

Keta

Quote from: Mel B on March 24, 2014, 03:02:53 PM
ok Lee, no wonder we need up to 50lb mono/fluoro line to have that extra umph=to stop that beast... :)

I've had to go to 80 a few times.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

Quote from: Mel B on March 24, 2014, 03:02:53 PM

On his 2005 SOA trip, our illustrious sensei got rocked when using 20lbs of drag...

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

wow 20 lbs of drag. gotta go to the gym ASAP or at least do push ups...

alantani

it can be a little confusing.  when i talk about 30, 50 and 80 "class" reels, i mean reels with the penn, shimano, avet, accurate or makaira 30's, 50's or 80's.  these are loaded with 100 to 200 pound spectra and have drag settings of 20 to 60 pounds.  i have three "50 class" reels and two "30 class" reels that i will bring for trolling.  

mostly, we will need live bait or jig reels with topshots of 30, 40 and 50 pound mono or fluoro.  these are typically small two speeds that are loaded up with 300 yards of 50 to 60 pound spectra and 25 yard topshots of your favorite line.  40 pound will be your main set up.  go to 50 if the bite is easy.  if you are not getting bit, drop down to a 30 pound topshot, but prepare to have a fight on your hands.  

we will be targeting bluefin and yellowfin to 60 pounds in open water (if we can find them), an occasional stray dorado to 20 pounds in open water, yellowtail to 40 pounds at cedros, and calicos to 10 pounds at cedros.  these are relatively small fish.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Alan, thanks for clearing it up. i'm thinking my PG541 "MAN CAVE WORKS" :D(80lb dyneema backing) with the upgrades can be used with a topshot of 60# mono/fluoro  ???