Newell - pinion gear frozen to spool!

Started by dylan, June 21, 2010, 07:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacoma09

I just opened my brothers newell and found the unthinkable.  Yep, frozen pinion to the spool.  On top of that the bearings are frozen too. >:( >:(

Bryan Young

Awe bummer.  take it easy and slow and hopefully, it will come out.  Parts are hard to come by.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

tacoma09

yeah, i know.  will see. I'll soak the part in PB blaster to see what can be done. thnx Brian.

tacoma09

well first atempt was  >:(. Still soaking it and slowly working on it. ::)

Alto Mare

Don't waste to much time on that frozen pinion :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Aluminum or graphite spool?

Aluminum, you can use a little heat applied to the pinion gear from a propane torch.  This will help expand the gear and possibly break some of the rust.  Do a few times and spray a lubricant to cool down and work between the gear and the spindle.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

tacoma09

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 12, 2012, 09:16:56 PM
Don't waste to much time on that frozen pinion :-\

I'm going to try.  worse comes to worse find a new/used spool and a pinion/ gear set.   ??? :'(

alantani

no, it HAS to come off without damage.  there are no more available.  two screwdrivers and 180 degrees from each other, turn then both clockwise and slowly, evenly, lift.  it will work.  it has to.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tacoma09

;D MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!! ;D ;D :D :) :o :o :o :o

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT.

Bryan Young

alantani

was it the "two screwdriver" technique or something else?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tacoma09

constantly soaking the bearings and pinion since Tuesday. Yesterday grasp the bearings and pinion with Vise grip and started wiggling and spinning the hell out of it.  Nothing got damage in that process. What a relief.

Alto Mare

Glad to hear it worked out for you...you're one of the few.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer