12/0, Changing of the Guard

Started by Shark Hunter, March 23, 2014, 09:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I have a Boat Ton of Bigger Senators. I have only fished with one. This was my first 12/0 build and I used some Mobile one synthetic red grease. It served me well, but after opening it back up, the grease is already starting to lose its consistency. Its been in there probably 18 months and it is hardening. My Penn Blue greased Reels don't show this breakdown. I replaced this reel with a newer double dogged, Keta Kranked, Aluminum Spooled, Fish catching Machine on My favorite roller rod. A 130 to 160 lb two piece Davis. These rods are no longer available due to a patent infringement from Aftco. Just proof positive, that when you find something you like. You better stock up. I pleaded with the seller to sell me one more. He wouldn't. The Aluminum Spool doesn't hold as much line, but not by much. I'm gearing up for my trip in May. I caught one nice seven foot Blacktip on this setup and it already wore a groove in the under the main gear carbon fiber washer. I need to cut some Teflon and see what it looks like after I catch a bigger Beast.

Life is Good!

floating doc

Central Florida

bluefish69

Daron

Why not see if you can get or make Derlin Washers for under the gear. It's tougher than Teflon

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

They use some material at work for making their own steam pipe gaskets. I don't know if it Delrin or Teflon, but the price is right. ;D
Life is Good!

bluefish69

More then likely it is Teflon. We had 125# of Steam in the hospital that I worked in we used either High Pressure Gaskets with a Brass Ring on the outside or Composite Gaskets.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

erikpowell

either one of those look suitable.... delrin for sure
Lee, is that Orkot in a sheet or round stock? not much info about how it comes. good stuff though, I'm passing that on to a friend here.
Sal, i'm always amazed at what McmasterCarr stocks... thanks for the link, I'm gonna have to order up some delrin now too just to have around...and cut undergear washers from  ;)