Are 'average' drag figures for reels found anywhere?

Started by dogdad1, March 19, 2014, 08:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

When a rod is braid rated it means the guides are made of a material the braid will not cut grooves into. Has nothing to do with the blank itself.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 23, 2014, 11:14:14 AM
When a rod is braid rated it means the guides are made of a material the braid will not cut grooves into. Has nothing to do with the blank itself.
learned a new one again but that's strange. so a rod for large/small mouth bass or trout and the guides used are for 80-200lb braid, does that mean the manufacturer will put 80-200lb braid on the rod?

Newell Nut

OldSchool

Absolutely. The blank will show weight ratings. Guides will be matched to the blank rating.

maxpowers

I think the rod manufacturer should go to min and max drag for the rod vs line rating.  A lot of the thin jigginf rod are rated for about 15-25 lbs of effective drag but I have seen the blackhole series used on much higher drag setting especially the spinning series.

johndtuttle

Quote from: ML B on April 23, 2014, 11:44:36 AM
learned a new one again but that's strange. so a rod for large/small mouth bass or trout and the guides used are for 80-200lb braid, does that mean the manufacturer will put 80-200lb braid on the rod?

No, what it means is the guide ring material is hard enough that Braid will not saw into it. It has nothing to do with the strength of the braid  or guide's strength. It's a has to do with cutting resistance.

johndtuttle

Fundamentally there is no clear answer for reels because of their intended uses are much different. Throw in some marketing doublespeak and anyone that wants real information gets lost fast.

Some reels are intended to put out 25lbs of drag for hours on end in a fighting chair or stand up (ie "80" size big game reels).

Other reels are intended to put out 25lbs for one brief run (angler drops the tip or loses the rod) then the fish has little stamina and comes to the boat (ie yellowtail, cubera, amberjack).

One reel weighs 10lbs and has guts in a frame that looks like the winch on the front of a 1/2 ton truck. The other fits in the palm of your hand and weighs a little over 1lb. One can cast a Sardine 30 yards, the other gives you a backlash dropping a Sardine next to the boat.

The two are not the same ;).

Then we can get into whose reel will blow up the pinion gear if you use it's "rated" drag and whose won't and what designs are the most reliable overall (ie star drag vs lever). Then there are the other internals...and I assure you they are not all created equal.

In the final analysis you have to know what fish you want to kill and whether you are gonna use braid or mono. After that, the reel that has the capacity you need for your intended line from any of the big manufacturers will get it done as long as you don't abuse it.

Don't overthink it. Sometimes that can ruin the sport. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 23, 2014, 03:25:26 PM
Quote from: ML B on April 23, 2014, 11:44:36 AM

No, what it means is the guide ring material is hard enough that Braid will not saw into it. It has nothing to do with the strength of the braid  or guide's strength. It's a has to do with cutting resistance.

I've always thought that it has something to do with the material used on the insert e.g. Sic Alconite etc...but then i maybe wrong again.

Nuvole

Ignoring manufacturer specs, I measured all my reel max drag with my drag checker(www.bouz.net) with 12 yards of lines before deciding the rod/line to match with it. Note that the same drag setting will differ when you have a fully loaded reel & near to the spool.

Fully agreed with johndtuttle that over thinking ruin the sport!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

I'll stick to my formula which is which line(Stated lb) i'll use. after which the approriate reel(line capacity effective drag range etc) and then the rod. KISS... ;) :D ;D

Keta

Quote from: ML B on April 23, 2014, 04:25:07 PM

I've always thought that it has something to do with the material used on the insert e.g. Sic Alconite etc...but then i maybe wrong again.

No, you got it right.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain