Battle Weary 12/0

Started by Shark Hunter, February 01, 2014, 02:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

If you do decide to try to remove all the chrome, I've found that a 10-15 min soak in OSPHO (phosphoric acid), followed by a little 'buffing' with a brass wire wheel (on a benchtop grinder or hand drill) will remove the chrome and polish up the bronze nicely.

Also, I've been wondering if it is possible to treat the raw material by some other method (other then chroming/powder coating/painting) to protect/preserve and prevent corrosion issues.  I was thinking about the gun smithing kits used to protect brass on do-it-yourself kits. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

redsetta

I've been wanting to try electroless nickel plating for a few years now, but am yet to find the right project (or the time!).
It produces a very hard and and corrosion-resistant finish, and can also fill small recesses etc such as pitting...
It looks great too, I reckon ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

Electroless nickel would work well. If I was a millionaire everything I own would be coated with Robars Nickel/PTFE. Most gunsmithing treatments blacken brass. Not much resistance to salt unfortunatly.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Ok, you guys aren't going to let sleeping dogs Lie. ;) I'm sending the spool to Jamie for powder coating. ;D
Life is Good!

floating doc

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 03, 2014, 11:01:15 PM
Ok, you guys aren't going to let sleeping dogs Lie. ;) I'm sending the spool to Jamie for powder coating. ;D

good choice. Waiting for the pictures. How much to powder coat?
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

johndtuttle

I love 'em like this. Obviously well used over decades before you got it, smooth as silk mechanically after some TLC. :D

Shark Hunter

Put in another chromed spool that I thought was bad. Its working flawlessly. The shimmed sleeve is tight. Feels better than a new one! ;) Just need some better posts and I'll be set. 8)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I got my spool back from Jamie Today. The poor guy reworked it several times and said he wasn't happy with it. He ended up painting it with Emron. I am very pleased with it! Good Job Jamie! Thanks Bro! ;D
I'll put it on the shelf Now Sal! ;) Yea, that is the same corroded spool that was showing all brass! :o
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Imron is some seriously good paint.  Better than powdercoat really.  It's an old school leaded paint that's tough as nails, and is still used on aircraft. It also lays out better than anything I have sprayed before or since.  

Shark Hunter

I know Adam! Thats what makes it so Cool! Anyone else have an Imron coated 12/0 Spool! ;D I think not!
Jamie is the Man!  ;)
Life is Good!

Makule

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 24, 2014, 05:32:36 AM
I know Adam! Thats what makes it so Cool! Anyone else have an Imron coated 12/0 Spool! ;D I think not!
Jamie is the Man!  ;)

It may be one step below chrome plating for durability and, as stated, is very good.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

That means a lot coming from you Albert! ;D
No joshing. ;)
Life is Good!