Need help with Shakespeare Sigma reel

Started by trekgod3, March 28, 2014, 06:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trekgod3

Ok, here's the story: I found this reel in a tangled mess of line in a trashcan at a local fishing spot. Took it home, took it apart cleaned it up and put it back together. Everything seems to work fine except the bail won't close automatically. When I open the bail and start to crank, I feel resistance, like it is bumping into something. Here are some pics, any idea of what's going on? Yes, I do know all the "pros" close the bail by hand, and that this reel is probably worth less than $5. But, I like to tinker and would like to fix it if possible. It's a Shakespeare Sigma 2200GX-50SW. From what I can tell, the metal tab in the last pic is suppose to bump against something on the inside of the reel to snap the bail closed. Thanks for any help you can offer.

philaroman

OK, first thing you do is look at the foot: if it says Japan -- it's worth well more than $5, but it probably says Korea & you should THROW IT OUT :D

Seriously, you see that metal lever on the inside of the rotor (last photo, right side)...  with the rotor off, open the bail & push that lever up w/ your finger -- does the bail close?  If not, you need to keep playing w/ the rotor innards: lube/polish wherever there's friction, stretch/open the spring(s) a little, etc.

If pushing the lever by hand works, then the "ramp" on top of the frame (2 photos before last) that pushes the lever up may be worn down -- not much you can do, that would be worth the effort for a Korean Sigma...  just live w/ the manual bail

AND POLISH THAT SPOOL LIP, MAN

trekgod3

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, it does say "Korea" on the reel foot. I have tried pushing up on the metal tab and it doesn't close the bail.