Quick and easy rod racks

Started by Legal Bill, March 29, 2014, 09:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legal Bill

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 29, 2014, 11:26:37 PM
That's awesome. I'm thinking of making a 4 roll one soon.

Yup.  Just drill and install the wheels in the 90 degree corner pieces before you glue it up.  Don't make it too long.  It will bow in the middle if your rods are heavy.

Ron Jones

If your rods are heavy you can use two tees and another short piece of pipe to make a center brace. That gives loads of support.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gstours

Good topic, always usefull, low cost, and a great way to store your rods......good job with the post too......now go fishing....gst.

erikpowell

Bill B

That's like Legos with power tools.....great idea.....thanks brother
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

Legos with power tools, gotta remember that one. 8)
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Legal Bill

Quote from: TARFU on April 03, 2014, 01:21:24 AM
That's like Legos with power tools.....great idea.....thanks brother

So funny.  That's what I tried to tell my grandson.

maxpowers

I was going to build this but found some file crates at Lowes for $2.99/apiece.  Bought a 10 ft 1-1/2 pvc for $5.50, cut into 10 in sections, drilled and zip tied.  Got 10 in on crates.  Nice thing is I can take a crate to go fishing and have the rod holder.  If you can find some of the sturdier milk crate it would be better.

foakes

I had about 300 - 400 old rods -- just in groups of bundles.

And they were constantly in the way and subject to becoming damaged.

So we had an old 80 year old barn that I added an upstairs to, installed three doors, framed in each garage interior with load bearing walls.  I use this as a woodworking & machine shop, with 5 separate connected rooms -- including an extra reel shop separate from the one upstairs in our house.  It has its own electrical sub-panel with plenty of quad 20 amp outlets & 240V.  Added lights, insulation, interior paneling, concrete, etc.

Then I added an upstairs with an 800 SF loft and staircase

But I still had the rods in bundles -- just a mess.

Came up with this solution similar to Bill's -- holds 340 rods using 1 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC.  It is not portable like Bill's -- but it works to store a lot of rods.

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Awesome Fred! Thanks for sharing that! ;D
Life is Good!

Lensters

Card catalog drawers probably convert to get great small parts bins, nice reuse.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Legal Bill

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

A friend of mine and I just split up a Remington Rand card borough. I got 25 drawers out of it and most will be filled with reel parts.They work great and are as durable as it gets.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
"